Valve Stem Protectors

/ Valve Stem Protectors #1  

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720
21517d1080792365-valve-stem-protectors-401368-tractor-1.jpg

Has anyone ever welded valve stem protectors on tractor wheels while there is fluid and pressure in the tires. I broke a couple off a year or two ago and am trying to take a proactive approach to this before I have a mess again. I have seen videos of tires blowing up but I can't see a spot weld on both sides hurting anything.

I don't know if i can buy them for JD wheels or just take a piece of pipe and cut it down and weld them on.

Thanks

/ Valve Stem Protectors #2  
The welding you are proposing is very dangerous as the heat of even a few seconds of welding can start a chemical reaction in the rubber tire bead that will run away until the tire explodes. Do a youtube search for "welding on tire rim" and you will see many examples of bad things happening. I would wait until you have to do major repairs on the tire and then do the job properly and safely.

Dave M70410

/ Valve Stem Protectors #3  
I think your best bet would be to lay the tire down valve stem up and break bead on the valve stem side. You could then wedge something between the tire and the steel before welding it and the fluid wouldn't be lost. It'll be heavy so you'll need help or a second tractor with a loader.