Valve question

/ Valve question #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
So, tell me this. Take the valve that controls the up/down motion of the lift arms. I'd assume that when it's in the center position, fluid flows through it from the pump and straight back to the pump, correct? When you push it forward, the valve diverts the flow through two other out/return hoses that go to the cylinders, and vice versa for the other direction.

I best the basic question is: is fluid always flowing through the valve, and moving it from it's center detent just diverts the flow? Or does the valve simply not allow the fluid to flow until it's opened by moving it from center detent?

Thx,
Dave

/ Valve question #2  
I'm pretty sure it is called 'open center'. I would assume that it means fluid always flows through the valve, even when you aren't using it.

/ Valve question #3  
Dave

I believe that the path from the discharge of the gear pump goes through the steering valve (open center, diverts oil to the steering cylinders when actuated) and through the lift/tilt valve (open center as MR indicates and diverts to lift/tilt cylinders when actuated) and back to the reservoir.

Duane