valve adj M8540?

/ valve adj M8540? #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
ok so i have 770 hrs on my M8540 purchased new. flawless engine, runs quiet & smooth w/o valve lash noise i've encountered on other engines that need valve adjustment, etc.
have done valve adj on engines for most of adult life. but i hesitate to open the valve cover from the factory assembly. the manual does state to adj valves around those hrs. your take & experience on diesels with those hrs? recommendations?
i'll probably do it eventually anyway & get the intake/exhaust clearances from my dealer.... but just to run by the forum thx in advance

/ valve adj M8540? #2  
Why would you hesitate? It's gotta be done. While you're ordering a valve cover gasket, order the seals and/or gaskets for the injectors. You'll need to remove those to turn the engine over. Unless you're some kind of Super-Man. :)

/ valve adj M8540? #3  
Couple years ago - Kubota service tech came out and installed an upgrade step on my M6040. I asked him about the 800 hour valve adjustment. His reply - if the engine is running OK then do not worry about needing any adjustment. In other words - if it ain't broken, don't try to fix it. Sounds like sound advice to me..........

/ valve adj M8540?
thank you. i'll look into the possibility later on, but it runs like out of the showroom, will hold off for now

/ valve adj M8540? #5  
If an exhaust valve's clearance is too tight it'll sound and run fine right up until the valve is burned.

I wonder why CUT makers don't use hydraulic lifters or adjusters? The extra valvetrain weight isn't going to hurt performance on an engine with a 3000 rpm redline.

/ valve adj M8540? #6  
thank you. i'll look into the possibility later on, but it runs like out of the showroom, will hold off for now

Look over the WSM procedure on the attached page.

I too think the Kubota mechanic who said if it is running well leave it alone gave bad advice.

Dave M7040

Attachments

• forum M8540 valve adjust.pdf
    322.7 KB · Views: 56