Value of these revolvers

/ Value of these revolvers #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Well I couldnt find anywhere where it said we arent allow to post pictures of firearms, so if it isnt allowed feel free to delete.

I dont know of any good reputable website that dont cost money to determine a value of firearms. gunbroker is hit and miss. And with guns, sometimes the smallest things make the biggest differences, like year, or certain accessory or stamping.

Here are the two I got.

This first one is a S&W 686 .357 MAG. The guy believes it is an older one. He cited that the newer ones in stainless dont have a stainless trigger and hammer, rather just a hardened steel one like the blued versions. Also the newer ones didnt have the white around the rear site, and the newer ones have a key hole for a trigger lock.

It is in really good shape and dont appear to have been fired much by looking down the barrel and cylinder.

686-0.jpg686-1.jpg686-2.jpg686-3.jpg686-4e.jpg

This next one is the beauty. New model Super blackhawk that has never been fired. (allthough I have no way to prove that). But does still have the plastic ring in the cylinder. And appears to have never been fired. IIRC he said it was a 1973 model, but I am not sure. Still has the original box as well. Interesting to note that the gun only cost $111 back then:laughing:

44-2e.jpg44-3e.jpg44-1.jpg44.jpg44-4.jpg

So my questions are pretty simple. What year are these guns, and what do you all think they are worth?

Last edited:
   / Value of these revolvers #2  
$50 for the lot is probably all they're worth. I might go $60, but that would be absolute top dollar, and I would really be doing you a favor. You have to pay shipping and FFL fees.

Seriously, I would say a range of $600 to $800 each, maybe even more, and I know that's kind of a broad range. And like everything else, it really depends on what people are willing to pay for it.

Good luck and take care.

/ Value of these revolvers #3  
LD1- the serial # of each gun will allow "those in the know" to give you exact details.

/ Value of these revolvers #4  
Call or email S&W and Ruger. I know S&W keeps extremely good records and I'm sure Ruger does too and can probably tell you the exact date/day they were made or left the factories. Never a good idea to give out firearm full serial numbers on a public forum. X out the last 3 or more numbers if you do. There are also S&W and Ruger forums on the net that have members that can probably give you a good idea as to current values if you join and post on them.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/

Ruger Forum | Ruger Forum for Ruger Guns and Firearms

/ Value of these revolvers #5  
Well I think the S&W 686 is the beauty of the pair.

Not knocking the Ruger at all, I own several of their pistols and rifles, but the 686 not only cost more, but there are a gazillion more Blackhawks out there. (Darned good pistols, do what they're supposed to do and seems like you can't wear one out and you'll never hear me say anything bad about any Ruger)

Every 586 and 686 I ever owned had the white outline sights, but I haven't owned any that were new enough to have any kind of keyhole for a lock. All had darned fine actions after a little work and they all shot well.

Like has been said, value of anything is what the buyer is willing to pay for it, the key is to sell to knowledgeable buyers, but the 686 should be worth a considerable amount more then the Ruger

Just wanted to add --------- in case the authorities are reading this and want to come check out my collection, I took them all fishing with me last year and overturned the boat, so I don't have them anymore!!

/ Value of these revolvers
Call or email S&W and Ruger. I know S&W keeps extremely good records and I'm sure Ruger does too and can probably tell you the exact date/day they were made or left the factories. Never a good idea to give out firearm full serial numbers on a public forum. X out the last 3 or more numbers if you do. There are also S&W and Ruger forums on the net that have members that can probably give you a good idea as to current values if you join and post on them.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/

Ruger Forum | Ruger Forum for Ruger Guns and Firearms

I edited the pics and blacked out the last 3 of the serial #. But have to ask why? What harm can be done knowing the serial number?

Well I think the S&W 686 is the beauty of the pair.

Not knocking the Ruger at all, I own several of their pistols and rifles, but the 686 not only cost more, but there are a gazillion more Blackhawks out there. (Darned good pistols, do what they're supposed to do and seems like you can't wear one out and you'll never hear me say anything bad about any Ruger)

Every 586 and 686 I ever owned had the white outline sights, but I haven't owned any that were new enough to have any kind of keyhole for a lock. All had darned fine actions after a little work and they all shot well.

Like has been said, value of anything is what the buyer is willing to pay for it, the key is to sell to knowledgeable buyers, but the 686 should be worth a considerable amount more then the Ruger

Just wanted to add --------- in case the authorities are reading this and want to come check out my collection, I took them all fishing with me last year and overturned the boat, so I don't have them anymore!!

I figured the superblackhawk, with original box and never fired would be worth more, therefore the beauty of the pair. The 686 is a shooter. And I have every intent to shoot it some.

I havent dont any looking on the 686 serial number yet, but the ruger has me puzzled. Their website shows the super blackhawks ending in 1973 and ending with serial number 80-xxxxxx. And the "new model" super blackhawk starting in 1974 with serial # 81-12401. So what does that make a new model SBH with serial 81-04xxx?

/ Value of these revolvers #8  
You know, like LD1 asked, what diff does it make to show the serial #'s on the internet???

Does that mean you should never show the serial #s of anything on the internet???

Sometimes I think we carry paranoia to points far beyond belief.

/ Value of these revolvers #9  
I just bought a SS Ruger Blackhawk SAA in 45 LC for $500. Neighbor was selling at a gun show and had it listed @ $600 and it wasn't selling so he lowered it to $500 so I said just take it off the table for that price. $600 was a pretty good price to start with according to a pricing website that he was using for a lot of pistols and long guns that he and his brother were selling.

The best you can do for pricing is look at gunbroker and other sites to see what they are selling for. Remember that excellent condition is only achieved when there is absolutely not marks of any kind including the slight ring that gets around the cylinder from the cylinder lock when it is turned. Just a few cocking actions will leave this ring and that ring drops it to Very Good from Excellent when appraising. Both of these guns have that ring around the cylinder so they can only be classed as very good if no other issues are evident.

By the way, IIRC, every gun made has to be fired at the factory at least one time so there is no such thing as never fired. Maybe never fired after sold is more fitting.

Doing searches trying to date the 686, I found countless pics of guns and full serial numbers on various other websites and forums.

ITs just a number. Anyone can make up whatever number they want.

Didnt have much luck dating the 686 though. seems you have to have a s&w master book or something. But the 686-3 was made from 1988-1993 as best I can tell. And need to use the 3 letters of the serial number to date it further.

Either way, it is still in excellent shape and dont look like a 20-25 year old gun.