Valby 150 Issue

/ Valby 150 Issue #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Well guys my Valby 150 was working fine then I broke a belt and replaced all four. While I was at it, I had the knives and the anvils sharpened (professional shop). I helped a neighbor out running a bunch of stuff through it-including a lot of hemlock branches that had been down for a while, and then it started having problems pulling stuff in. A 3" piece would be banging all around in the chute instead of pulling in. And if you tried to hold it, forget it, you paid the price as the chattering and vibration is severe.

I have checked the clearance and I'm about 023. I talked to Mike at Northeast Implement and he suggested I measure the distance of flywheel to housing on each side and its within a half mm. So the flywheel is sitting "square".

Anyone have any similar experience?

/ Valby 150 Issue #2  
I guess I would check your knives. They probably need resharpening again. You cant find many things tougher than dry hemlock to run thru it.

/ Valby 150 Issue
I guess I would check your knives. They probably need resharpening again. You cant find many things tougher than dry hemlock to run thru it.
thx Gordon- I've got a "pro" land clearing buddy coming to check it out tomorrow-if all else fails I guess I will get them sharpened-again!

/ Valby 150 Issue #4  
Red Horse, keep us posted, anxious to hear the issue.

/ Valby 150 Issue
10-4- this is why this site is so good. You can always learn from the other guys' issue. I can't tell you how many hours I have spent fooling with this.

/ Valby 150 Issue
Update- Gordon was correct- I got the knives sharpened, back on the machine and instead of hooking up to my 4720, I took it over to my son's house and hooked it up to his 2520- Now that tractor is about half my PTO HP and I threw some 2-3" stuff in it and it pulled it right in.

I didn't think the knives were that badf, but like I said, I ran a lot of junk through it so I guess sharp blades are for sure a priority for a smooth operation.