Utopia take 2

/ Utopia take 2 #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
@ 2 Bit.. not sure why the thread was shut down, But we have thought about Texas. I have been there 3 or 4x in the past 3 years. Worked id San Antonio and Austin. Really didn't get to see much of the area outside of the downtown areas... Both of those cities are nice to visit...but I wouldn't move to one of them. A friend lives in Spring TX and says I would like it there.

/ Utopia take 2 #2  
Western Montana in the Northern Rockies.
Our dream became a reality in 2017, still in transition, we lost our farm in the flood in the midwest last year which sped things up in some ways and slowed it down in others.....
Sunrise picture in Montana was last week, sunset picture in Nebraska was taken tonight.
With views like this in your front porch, I guess being in limbo isn't as horrible as it could be but can't wait till we can be in montana permenantly, that's OUR utopia. 15543.jpg20700.jpg

/ Utopia take 2 #3  
No snow and not too hot means you need to be near a large body of water to moderate the temps. Low taxes and cost of living means you live where most other's don't want to live and there are no amenities.

/ Utopia take 2 #4  
@ 2 Bit.. not sure why the thread was shut down, But we have thought about Texas. I have been there 3 or 4x in the past 3 years. Worked id San Antonio and Austin. Really didn't get to see much of the area outside of the downtown areas... Both of those cities are nice to visit...but I wouldn't move to one of them. A friend lives in Spring TX and says I would like it there.

Spring is pretty nice. You are right between Houston and Conroe. Pine trees. The Woodlands is a nice town just north of Spring, pretty dense in some areas and the further you go east or west of I45 the less congested it is.

It all depends on what your comfortable with. What was your objection to Austin/San Antonio area?

/ Utopia take 2 #6  
I would imagine most every state has its good and not-so-good areas. Fairbanks in January - - Houston in July - - New York city. Places I've visited and it was - no joy. I'm happy right here and so glad that I am.

/ Utopia take 2 #7  
I was born and raised in a small dusty town in eastern Wyoming near the black hills. The city life never appealed to me and quite frankly I feel out of place in them.

5 years ago my wife and I bought 23 acres outside of Spearfish South Dakota. A small college town nestled in the northern part of the South Dakota black hills. We will have our forever home built there when she retires in 4 years. We currently have our camper there.

I’ve never worked so hard re-establishing a road, clear cutting a 30 x500 foot swath for power and a 30x40 building but gratifying beyond words.

We feel blessed and humbled to have a place that to us, is utopia.

/ Utopia take 2 #8  

First time that I ever went to Texas was back in the 90's and I flew into San Antonio. I didn't like it, but as I drove out of the city and into the Hill Country, I was surprised at how nice it was there. Kerrville and Fredericksburg where very nice. That's when I started thinking about moving to Texas. I spent a couple years looking around the state to see where I should go and ended up in Tyler because of the economy there and cost of a home and land was also very attractive. Tyler has been very good to me, so no complaints, but I still think the Hill Country is a much nicer area of Texas.

/ Utopia take 2 #9  
The Texas Hill country is nice, but when you are looking for a Utopia, also consider the daily living activities. Such as water, sewer, etc. The Hill country sits over the Edwards Aquifier and the state is very particular about it. I'd be sure to check on water availability and sewer/septic requirements before you purchase land. Anywhere for that matter. We looked at one property durning our search and a previous owner had sold off all the water rights including surface rights on where to put the well head. Meaning if we built a house and drilled a well, the well belonged to someone else and we'd have to pay them to draw water, and they could put their well right in front of our front door.

/ Utopia take 2 #10  
I would imagine most every state has its good and not-so-good areas. Fairbanks in January - - Houston in July - - New York city. Places I've visited and it was - no joy. I'm happy right here and so glad that I am.

Well said.
What's right for you might be a really bad fit for me, and vice versa. Personally, northern New England is as good as it gets. Couldn't pay me enough to live in the south, likewise Texas did nothing for me, yet millions of people happily call those (and other) places home.
There is no "utopia".