utility vehicle questions

/ utility vehicle questions #1  

jakeman

Tractor
Power King
I currently own 4 acres of hilly, wooded land in northeast Ohio. I am considering a utility vehicle to use for hauling(firewood, dirt, landscape materials etc.). My driveway is 600 feet long-with a short but relatively steep incline. I am looking at the John Deere CX(compact series), the Pioneer ClubCar and the CubCadet(4x2) primarily because of their narrow width(apprx. 50"). Does it make sense to purchase one of these utility vehicles over a sub compact(but more expensive) tractor? When loaded with firewood, do these vehicles have enough power to climb small hills? How about manueverabilty in the woods??
Thanks in advance for any insight......

/ utility vehicle questions #2  
Hi Jakeman,
You might also want to look at the Land Pride Treker NT, designed to fit in the back of a full size pickup. Prices just dropped on these units that feature Honda engines choice of two or 4 wd.

A tractor would pull a wagon to do your hauling, but is not as fast to get around on. The Utility vehicle is lighter and may not rut up your lawn if you drive across it wet. Of course the tractor can do dozens of things for you like mowing, loader work (if equipped) etc. A good CUT will cost quite a bit more than a utility vehicle.

You might make a list of uses you would have for each type of vehicle and see which list is longer. May decide you need both!

/ utility vehicle questions #3  
The Deere CX Gator is not going to pull that much with the small tires and the small 10 horse motor. The normal Gator 4x2 also has a 10 horse motor but the whole utility vehicle is more heavy duty. I would go up to a normal Gator for pulling but they are still slow on hills. I think you would be best with a sub compact tractor. The normal Gators are quite durable but when I need heavy pulling I grab my tractor over the Gator 4x2.

/ utility vehicle questions #4  
If I was going to get one to compete with a sub-compact I'd go with the HX Gator. It's 4wd and can haul twice what the little gator can. If I didn't have mowing to do and no other need for a tractor hands down I'd take a utility vehicle. You can do many more non-tractor related tasks with a utility vehicle, and not only more but faster and more efficiently.

/ utility vehicle questions #5  
That would save him a few thousand over the sub compact too and that high/lo range would come in handy on the hills. Unless he wants a loader for the firewood then a compact would be the way to go. Do you have your new 4x4 Gator yet Coyboydoc? If so how do you like it?

/ utility vehicle questions #6  
The 3 models you are comparing are really not really comparable. The Gator CX is the smallest of the three, The CubCadet is the largest and the Club Car falls somewhere in the middle. Are you looking to buy a new one? If not you may want to consider a used Gator 4X2 that compares in size to the Cub Cadet 4X2. It doesn't have the suspension of the Cub but there are a lot used ones out there for reasonable prices and they are a proven design. I have the 6X4 Gator and it is a workhorse.

/ utility vehicle questions #7  
Hi Nick,

Yes I got it last week. It's very nice.

/ utility vehicle questions #8  
The Land Pride Treker NT has 20HP Honda engine, CVT trans provides good low end torque and top speed of 25mph. It is 50" wide at the front tires and 50.5" at the rear (compared to the ST which has a 56" track). Rated towing capacity 1000lbs,(1200 onST) available in two or 4 wheel drive models. The base NT can haul 950lbs, (ST 1300lbs)
Price is now the same for ST and NT. 2WD lists at $6795 4WD $ 7995. This is MSRP and dealer pricing may vary of course. (I had listed a higer price on an earlier post that is no longer correct).

/ utility vehicle questions #9  
I looked at the Trekers at the Louisville Farm show and they looked like nice units. They also have one with articulated steering coming out. Bush-Hog also has a line of Utility Vehicles coming out.

/ utility vehicle questions #10  
Jakeman, I saw your post and thought about your question for awhile. For hauling, you certainly cannot beat these utility vehicles. That's the primary task you mentioned. Other than hauling, are you going to dig up any of these landscape materials you'll be hauling? Are you going to get a load of dirt delivered and then use a shovel to load your vehicle? What about your driveway? Is it gravel and do you need to drag it with a blade? Do you need to do rough mowing with a rotary cutter or finish mowing?

Many things are done far better by a compact tractor with the proper implements. Remember you can put a carrier on a CUT's 3PH and/or use the FEL for hauling. You'll probably double the CUT's capacity with the utility vehicle, but If I had to choose either a CUT or a utility vehicle, I'd have to come down on the side of the tractor.