Using what I have

/ Using what I have #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
I am building a splitter and wanting to use valves I already have to reduce cost. What i have is a 25hp Kholer engine, 11gpm Vickers Vane pump, Log splitter valve, https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-1262&catname=hydraulic splitter valve with ¾ ports. I am putting a hydraulic cylinder to lift my 4way wedge and have another valve (with 3 seperate control functions) with 1/2 inch ports that came off a long arm mower. I am also putting ahydraulic assit boom for picking up those heavy rounds to place on the splitter. I have and want to use this electric/hydraulic control valve, https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-6136&catname=hydraulic and https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?catname=hydraulic&item=9-5883-1 subplate, sae6 ports. My reasoning for using the electric valve is simply because it would allow me to use a power cord allowing some flexibility of movement when hooking up to the big rounds.

Now for my problem, Even tho all the control valves should handle my pump volume, I feel the restriction from reduceing hose size as I go from valve to valve in series will result in heat and slowing down of my splitter cylinder. I will be placeing restricting fittings to control speed of my wedge and boom cylinder. I dont see my operating all the cylinders at the same time so I am not worried about one operation slowing down other operations. I guess what I am asking is what is the best way to plumb all this up.
I also have another control valve with 3/4 ports I could use to control the 4way function, but I was wanting to use the stack valve incase i wanted to put a lift deck or other function on the splitter. Or I could use the stack valve to control the boom lift and just forget the electric valve. . Anyways, I could use other opinions and advise, and thanks in advance for your help.

/ Using what I have #2  
I am building a splitter and wanting to use valves I already have to reduce cost. What i have is a 25hp Kholer engine, 11gpm Vickers Vane pump, Log splitter valve, https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-1262&catname=hydraulic splitter valve with セ ports. I am putting a hydraulic cylinder to lift my 4way wedge and have another valve (with 3 seperate control functions) with 1/2 inch ports that came off a long arm mower. I am also putting ahydraulic assit boom for picking up those heavy rounds to place on the splitter. I have and want to use this electric/hydraulic control valve, https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-6136&catname=hydraulic and https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?catname=hydraulic&item=9-5883-1 subplate, sae6 ports. My reasoning for using the electric valve is simply because it would allow me to use a power cord allowing some flexibility of movement when hooking up to the big rounds.

Now for my problem, Even tho all the control valves should handle my pump volume, I feel the restriction from reduceing hose size as I go from valve to valve in series will result in heat and slowing down of my splitter cylinder. I will be placeing restricting fittings to control speed of my wedge and boom cylinder. I dont see my operating all the cylinders at the same time so I am not worried about one operation slowing down other operations. I guess what I am asking is what is the best way to plumb all this up.
I also have another control valve with 3/4 ports I could use to control the 4way function, but I was wanting to use the stack valve incase i wanted to put a lift deck or other function on the splitter. Or I could use the stack valve to control the boom lift and just forget the electric valve. . Anyways, I could use other opinions and advise, and thanks in advance for your help.

1) How are you going to drive the Vickers vane pump? They produce rated flow at 1200 RPM and typically do not have bearings in them that will with stand side loads from being belt driven. Suspect the Kohler engine operates at 3000 - 3600 RPM. Your vane pump will not operate at that speed and would be producing around 30+ GPM.

2) The manual "Splitter valve" shown in surplus center does not state if it is capable of "Power Beyond" duty.

3) The Eaton Vickers DG4V 3 valve may or may not allow pressure in the tank line. I think this model will accept 3000 PSI in the tank line but I would confirm this before ordering.

4) And yes running 11 GPM through a DG4V 3 size valve will produce heat.

Options might be to use a larger size electric valve (D05 / NG10) size. These can also be sublate mounted like the DG4V 3 D03 / NG 6 ) size.

Plumbing: The splitter valve must go first since it has the system relief valve in it. Balance of functions best fit for plumbing.

Roy

/ Using what I have
1) How are you going to drive the Vickers vane pump? They produce rated flow at 1200 RPM and typically do not have bearings in them that will with stand side loads from being belt driven. Suspect the Kohler engine operates at 3000 - 3600 RPM. Your vane pump will not operate at that speed and would be producing around 30+ GPM.

2) The manual "Splitter valve" shown in surplus center does not state if it is capable of "Power Beyond" duty.

3) The Eaton Vickers DG4V 3 valve may or may not allow pressure in the tank line. I think this model will accept 3000 PSI in the tank line but I would confirm this before ordering.

4) And yes running 11 GPM through a DG4V 3 size valve will produce heat.

Options might be to use a larger size electric valve (D05 / NG10) size. These can also be sublate mounted like the DG4V 3 D03 / NG 6 ) size.

Plumbing: The splitter valve must go first since it has the system relief valve in it. Balance of functions best fit for plumbing.

Roy

The vickers pump will be direct mount to the output shaft of the engine using L110 lovejoy coupleings. The engine is overkill for that size pump and will be throttled down to 1700rpms. The engine the pump came off of originally ran at 1750rpms. No need to run wide open.
Splitter valve will be first valve in line, but the other 2 valves I have also have built in reliefs.
The electric valve I already have, I have no plans to purchase another one. It was on the project that I robbed the engine off of. Just trying to use what I had on hand.
While working on the splitter today, I went ahead and ruled out the electric valve for the boom. When buying metal to build boom, I ended up with enough extra to just go ahead and make a light duty knuckelboom so I plan on just going ahead and using the stackvalve for the knuckelboom, the splitter valve for the splitter, and somehow plumb in the other valve to operate my 4way wedge lift. I will still have to reduce the return line on the splitter valve, which is what I wanted to advoid. Since this project has already taken a different direction, I think I am going to run out of control valves to operate all the functions. I might endup buying another valve to make all of this work.

/ Using what I have #4  
Do each of these valves have PB?

You could also run a divider circuit for the wedge and log lift. All valve returns go to tank. A good return filter is required before the tank.

There is one thing to comprise, and another to come up with a good splitter arrangement for power, efficiency, and ease of use.

The first relief in the series circuit will set system pressure, and you can set the other valves the same or even lower for a branch circuit.

Do you know the max pump pressure in order to set the relief?

/ Using what I have #5  
Mudstopper,
You may know this but at 1750 RPM your pump will be producing around 16.5 GPM if it is truly an 11 GPM cam ring. What model of Vickers pump do you have?
Example: V201*11** or 20V11A****

Roy

/ Using what I have
Vicker pump is V21011, rest of number is blurred and unreadable.
Prince valve s/n, 000036541, model number not available.
I am not sure how to tell if PB is on either valve, they both have in and out and circuit ports, splitter valve has relief. I am thinking in order to be power beyond, should there be one more port? Valve off of longarm mower, has three functions, two spring center, one I am not sure of, and a extra port that is plugged. I can post pics of the valves and pump if that will help. Not sure what info I need to provide to enable you to help me.

/ Using what I have #7  
There may be markings on the valve. P, T, PB, BYD, A, B, etc. There may be two pressure and two tank ports The pressure port is usually by the relief valve.

Clean up valve and take pic of all sides.

Is the valve a mono block , one casting, or a sectional valve, separate spools put together with end pieces?

http://www.baumhydraulics.com/files/catalog/h09.pdf

/ Using what I have
JJ, Looking at the flow dividers, something similar to this one, https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-4158-2&catname=hydraulic Would be what I am thinking would work, but I am not sure I like the non adjustability of such a divider. The 2gpm would move my 2.5X6in cylinders from full retract to full extend in about 3 seconds. This might prove to be the speed I desire, or maybe not. I would prefer to have a certain amount of adjustability . Could I not use a flow control such as, https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7960-12&catname=hydraulic , or https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-4169-12&catname=hydraulic to supply just the oil flow I would need to my small cylinders, yet still provide most of the flow to my splitter cylinder.
While looking again at my valves. I belief my splitter valve to not be a PB type valve, but my three function valve is. This valve is the valve that came off the longarm mower and is the valve that was working the cylinders I will be using on my boom lift for my splitter. In and out ports are 1/2inch. Fittings for cylinders are #4 jic. If I decide to use this valve first in line, and use its PB to supply power for my splitter valve, My question would be, will this valve carry the advertised 11gpm or guesstimated 16 gpm ,(depending on engine speed), of my Vickers pump. My hydraulic tank is only 10gal cap and which with all the extra functions of the boom addition, is starting to get to small in a hurry.

Attachments

• 0108121254.jpg
    0108121254.jpg
    863.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 0108121256.jpg
    0108121256.jpg
    780.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
   / Using what I have #9  
If your valve doesn't have PB, the return should go directly to tank, or you risk damage to the valve.

A lot of the return ports only have a low pressure of about 250 to 500 psi rating on the return/tank post. If you put your three valves in series, or have two branches, at least one of the valve is in potential trouble.

It could happen the first time you activate one of the downstream valves, and cause the upstream pressure to build up to the relief pressure of the first valve.

What I think you need is a log splitter valve with PB, and feed the three spool valve for the log lift and wedge, and then send the tank port return fluid to the tank.

You could split the PB out from the log splitter valve and send about 2 GPM to the three spool and the rest to filter and tank, and the tank out from the three spool would go to the return filter and reservoir.

/ Using what I have
I understand that the splitter valve should return to tank. I am attaching another pic of the 3spool valve. I think this valve has PB, altho the only markings on the valve are inlet and outlet. There are two ports for inlet, and three ports at the outlet side. Currently the valve has a fitting in 2 of the outlet ports and one port is plugged. The inside dia of the fittings is 27/64 as evidenced by the drill bit I inserted inside the fitting to measure size. Just to note, all three outlet ports are directly connected with no type of divider between the three ports. This connection leads me to think this may not be a PB valve

Question 1, is this a PB type valve?
Question 2, if valve is power beyond, will fitting size allow for oil flow fo 10-16 gpm.
Question 3, if valve is power beyond, and will handle stated oil flow, would it work to place this valve in front of the splitter valve.

Of course, if valve is not PB capable, then the above 3 questions dont need answering.

Question 4, if valve is not PB, and I dont have a lot of cash to purchase another valve that is PB ready, We are back to using the flow divider valve. Would a ajustable flow control valve such as https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7960-12&catname=hydraulic work to divide the power between the two valves, or would I have to use a non adjustable divider control such as https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-4158-2&catname=hydraulic

Attachments

• 0108121529.jpg
    0108121529.jpg
    868.7 KB · Views: 154