Using tractor in water

/ Using tractor in water #1  

jbarker855

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 855
Just looking for your input on running a tractor in water. I have a creek on my property that I need to cross often. Sometimes I need to drive a little ways down the creek to get to a different path. Sometimes I actually am working in the creek for a while, moving boulders around to build rip-rap wall to prevent erosion at various sites. I use a MFWD JD 855. Most of the time, the water is less than 3-4 inches deep. Many times, however, it gets deeper and the wheel hub/grease seal is totally under water. I have never noticed any milky color in front axle oil to suggest water is getting in. So is this a terrible idea and asking for trouble, or is this not really a problem. I haven't noticed any ill effects from this, but maybe I am pressing my luck. Thoughts?
-Jay

/ Using tractor in water #2  
The only draw back I can see would be unforseen obstacles under the surface of the water.

/ Using tractor in water #4  
up to the axles at mid point and hubs should be ok.. just keep anything with a breather topside ( some axles have breather on the top ).. same with dipstick locations too..

also keep track of your air pickup on your particular tractor

soundguy

/ Using tractor in water #5  
Think I would check where the differential vents exit for those high water days. Shouldn't be to hard to run an extension if they are vulnerable.

MarkV

/ Using tractor in water #6  
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't get stuck or have any electrical connections under water.

/ Using tractor in water #7  
Keep all the grease zerks well greased after each excursion underwater.

/ Using tractor in water #8  
Keep all the grease zerks well greased after each excursion underwater.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

And use quality grease. Some resist water better than others.

BX....DUDE, Is your avatar pic common for you, or is that one of those "uh-oh" situations?

/ Using tractor in water #9  
On my tractor, the lowest vent is the front axle and it's not real obvious. Rear axle and trans vent are under the seat. Like everyone else said, be aware of the vents, take it slow and you will be fine.