Using the Bucket

/ Using the Bucket #1  

jacric2005

Tractor
John Deere 870
For the life of me, I have never been able to load the bucket from a pile of gravel, sand or manure pile. The other day I had a project done and one of the workers used my tractor (JD 870) to move some sand from my sand pile. He got the bucket full and the pile had a smooth "cut" into it, not all pushed around. What is the secret? I noticed at one point, he jiggled the lever, maybe that was to shake it back in the bucket.

/ Using the Bucket #2  
I'm not an operator but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Basically you want to enter the pile with the bucket level. You do not want the edge digging, just smoothing across the ground. When you feel the bucket enter the pile lift the bucket so it nearly follows the slope of the pile, pushing in and filling the bucket and then curl the bucket to finish. All of this is done with some forward motion so use 4wd and low gear until you get the hang of it. There should be no shaking or short jerky motion as this is very hard on the loader. Done properly it is a single smooth motion leaving a flat smooth area around the pile ready for the next smooth approach.
If you accidently dig a hole in front of the pile pull some material back off the pile and repair the surface.

Last edited:
   / Using the Bucket #3  
Your tractor should have a bucket level indicator. There are different types, mine is a simple rod in a tube on the right arm. When I curl or dump the bucket, the rod slides in and out of the tube. I set my bucket on the level concrete and marked the rod. I then cut the rod at a taper with the back side of the cut at the tube, my bucket is dead level.

When approaching the pile, set your bucket level and low. Not typically on the ground unless its very hard. Remember, the more weight the bucket gets as it loads, the more it will 'push' into the ground.

Come into the pile at a comfortable speed. This should be fast enough to fill the bucket, but not so fast that you get ejected from the seat when the tractor comes to a stop.

Just before the tractor comes to a stop (careful not to spin the tires), start to curl the bucket and raise the FEL at the same time. Watch the bucket fill and and dont curl too much. You dont want to push the pile with the bottom side of the bucket.

Come to a stop and lift/curl the bucket until your load is level. Not the bucket, the load. Shake it a few times to settle and load into the back corners of the bucket and to shake off any excess that might fall off during transport. Do not backup without lifting and curling, you'll inadvertently dump part of the load.

Back away from the pile and lower the FEL to a comfortable height. Remember, never carry a loaded bucket too high!

The more you do this, the more it makes sense and easier it gets. It becomes second nature. Take things slow.

/ Using the Bucket #4  
The above covers it. I once taught this to dealer and sale personnel.

/ Using the Bucket #5  
Hi, The solution is that you have to maintain the bucket level.

/ Using the Bucket #6  
For the life of me, I have never been able to load the bucket from a pile of gravel, sand or manure pile. The other day I had a project done and one of the workers used my tractor (JD 870) to move some sand from my sand pile. He got the bucket full and the pile had a smooth "cut" into it, not all pushed around. What is the secret? I noticed at one point, he jiggled the lever, maybe that was to shake it back in the bucket.
Your problem is youmissed a step in your training. You need to start with one of these for a few years
1666262611927.jpeg