Using rear hydraulics on a 8454

/ Using rear hydraulics on a 8454 #1  

m1ndFacK3RR

Tractor
Cub Cadet 8454SS
Long time lurker/researcher, and first time poster!

I picked up an '04 model 8454 SS w/ 642 loader (426hrs) over the weekend, and so far I've been happy with the purchase. It's been raining since the day we brought it home, so I haven't had a ton of seat time with it yet. To pass the time I've changed the engine oil/filter, fuel filter, and am waiting on the hydraulic filter to change that fluid as well.

My question relates to the rear hydraulic remotes, and the actuating valve to run them. I've got a 3pt wood splitter with it's own dedicated forward/reverse cylinder valve. Hooking the ports up to A/B, and pushing the remote valve lever forward, the splitter works just fine. The remote valve lever will hold in this position until pulled back into the center detent. I've not split any wood yet, it was only a test run, but everything operates fine.

The concern is a disclaimer in the operator manual. It states to not hold the remote valve lever in either direction wherein you're at the cylinder's full stroke. "Doing so will force oil through the relief valve...which will lead to overheated oil." I understand that holding the valve open at a cylinder's full stroke isn't good for it, but in the case where I'm using the splitter's actuating valve this shouldn't apply...correct? Now, if I were to hold the splitter open until the cylinder was at full stroke, and held it, I can see that...but that isn't the case with the way I'm trying to operate it.

I'm probably over thinking it, but don't want to inadvertently cook the hydraulic fluid!

Thanks for any info, and for all of the great posts here that made me feel a little better about the purchase.

:drink: