Using Power Beyond Port

/ Using Power Beyond Port #1  

BWBrown

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700, IH 2500A
I will shortly be needing additional hydraulic ports.

My Bush Hog 1846 loader has, on the side of the valve a plugged opening marked "PB" obviously the Power Beyond port.

To use this port, do I need an adapter specific the the valve, or is it as simple as removing the plug and scewing in the correctly sized SAE or ORing adapter?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Bob

/ Using Power Beyond Port #2  
With most valves, you need to install an adapter that actually re-directs the flow of fluid. Some specific info about your valve will help us determine exactly what you need.

/ Using Power Beyond Port
The loader is a Bush Hog 1846QT.
Te valve is part number 25H43938
I think I've included a picture of the exploded view of the valve.
The power beyond part is numbered 1- including sleeve 2 and o ring 2&3.
I don't see a manufacturer name, only the Bush Hog part number.
Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• 001 - 2 spool valve 25H43938.jpg
    001 - 2 spool valve 25H43938.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,864
   / Using Power Beyond Port #4  
I searched that # and it appears it is a BH # and not the maker of the valves #. Possibly a phone call to BH would get you a possitive answer?

How many hoses are connected to your valve now? Six or Seven?

Do you have those parts (#1) on your valve now?

/ Using Power Beyond Port
In response to your diagnostic questions.

Yes, I do believe it to be a BH part number, it is in a BH parts blow-up diagram.

The valve now has 6 hoses, I would assume the 7th (were it there) would be the power beyond supply to the next valve.

Right now the parts marked #1 (2&3 combined) are not in place. Currently there is a solid plug in the PB location on the side.

I guess a BH dealer is my next stop after the weekend.
Bob

/ Using Power Beyond Port #6  
My loader (Koyker) has the PB port, I bought the adapter after I had the loader for a while. You can't install the adapter until you are ready to put it into service (can't add a plug in the adapter). But this will allow you to add more valves and outlets downstream. You must also have a return to sump for the fluid to return through. Hope this is what you're looking for?

/ Using Power Beyond Port #7  
Yup, sounds like you know just what you need. Good luck:D

/ Using Power Beyond Port #8  
BWBrown said:
In response to your diagnostic questions.

Yes, I do believe it to be a BH part number, it is in a BH parts blow-up diagram.

The valve now has 6 hoses, I would assume the 7th (were it there) would be the power beyond supply to the next valve.

Right now the parts marked #1 (2&3 combined) are not in place. Currently there is a solid plug in the PB location on the side.

I guess a BH dealer is my next stop after the weekend.
Bob

Bob, my loader valve has 7 ports and all of them are used. In my tractor's hydraulic circuits, the FEL valve is the first in line and the 3PH and rear remote valves are fed from its PB port. I suspect that your valve is the last in line in an open-center circuit and that's why you only need 6 ports used. When the valve is in neutral, you must be returning the fluid to the sump instead of supplying it to the next circuit via the PB port. I would verify this with BH before continuing and sketch out a hydraulic flow circuit so you know where the fluid is going now and where you will redirect it with the PB circuit you intend to build. I think it's really important to know exactly what your flow is now before you continue. The fact that the loader valve's PB port is not currently in use tells me there is something going on inside the valve. There may be another fitting you need from BH to close off the internal circuit to the sump from the PB circuit before you can pressurize a downstream circuit.

It takes four ports (four hoses) to connect to the loader.

/ Using Power Beyond Port #9  
jinman said:
Bob, my loader valve has 7 ports and all of them are used. In my tractor's hydraulic circuits, the FEL valve is the first in line and the 3PH and rear remote valves are fed from its PB port. I suspect that your valve is the last in line in an open-center circuit and that's why you only need 6 ports used. When the valve is in neutral, you must be returning the fluid to the sump instead of supplying it to the next circuit via the PB port. I would verify this with BH before continuing and sketch out a hydraulic flow circuit so you know where the fluid is going now and where you will redirect it with the PB circuit you intend to build. I think it's really important to know exactly what your flow is now before you continue. The fact that the loader valve's PB port is not currently in use tells me there is something going on inside the valve. There may be another fitting you need from BH to close off the internal circuit to the sump from the PB circuit before you can pressurize a downstream circuit.

It takes four ports (four hoses) to connect to the loader.

That's exactly right. Typically called a power beyond plug or sleeve, it separates the return oil (from the work ports) from "unused" oil flowing through the open center of the valve directly from the 'in' port. The exact difference between a 6 hose loader valve installation and a seven hose loader valve installation.

/ Using Power Beyond Port #10  
So as I see it, all you need to do is get that assembly #1 in the schematic and you can use that to power your next valve. The loader valve as it is now with the plug in there instead of that assembly is (has to be) already returning a line to sump. Hence the six lines now:
1 power high pressure going into it
1 exhaust or return to sump coming out of it
4 working ports going to your 2 hydraulic cylinders

When you get your new valve and that power beyond sleeve for your existing loader valve, take the plug out and install the PB sleeve in the existing loader valve. Then connect a hose from it to your new valve (high pressure in) and you are ready to go. Your new 2 spool valve should have six lines then like your loader valve is plumbed now (see above).
If you ever decide to add another valve behind that one, make sure it has power beyond capability too.