Using Hole Digger In Hard Red Clay

/ Using Hole Digger In Hard Red Clay #51  
I've switched, for the most part, from digging holes, planting the post and filling the hole around the post to just pounding steel posts directly in the ground. I use a Mansaver and a smallish compressor. The steel posts will outlast me.

/ Using Hole Digger In Hard Red Clay #52  
I was looking for grade 2 but only saw grade 5 and 8 clearly marked. Are grade 2 bolts typically not labeled with a grade?
Yeah, grade 2 bolts are typically not marked. You can tell they are grade 2 because they will be the cheapest.
Eric

/ Using Hole Digger In Hard Red Clay #53  
I was looking for grade 2 but only saw grade 5 and 8 clearly marked. Are grade 2 bolts typically not labeled with a grade?
That is correct.... grade 2 is usually unmarked.

/ Using Hole Digger In Hard Red Clay
Thanks again for all the help! I completed most of the hole digging yesterday and started setting posts.

/ Using Hole Digger In Hard Red Clay #55  
Yeah, grade 2 bolts are typically not marked. You can tell they are grade 2 because they will be the cheapest.
Eric
Thanks. I never knew that they where called Grade 2. I just assumed that they didn't have a Grade to them.

I also don't really know what Grade means, other then Grade 5 is stronger then the bolts with smooth heads, and used for sheer pins, and that Grade 8 is the strongest that I can buy at the store, but they are too strong to use for sheer pins.

/ Using Hole Digger In Hard Red Clay #56  
Eddie
Maybe the chart below will help you understand differences in bolt grades.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-29 081850.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-29 081850.png
    243.1 KB · Views: 57