Using an air hose reel for water.

/ Using an air hose reel for water. #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Anybody ever use an air hose retracting reel for water? We water everything on the patio nearly every day. It is a pain stretching out the hose, then putting it back in some order on the hanger. TSC has a spring retracting air hose reel with a 75' hose and I think I will give it a try.

Anybody else tried this?

RSKY

/ Using an air hose reel for water. #2  
Seems like a good idea if you don't need a high flow rate, most are only 3/8".

/ Using an air hose reel for water. #3  
I have a 50' one from HF that I use for air. I suppose with the right adapter you could fit it to a hose bib, never tried to do that but I would certainly look at the parts needed to adapt the hoses before buying it for a water hose. Just to make sure you can get there from the hose bib to the retracting hose.

/ Using an air hose reel for water. #5  
I'd say OK, just be sure that all fittings are brass otherwise rust will be your enemy.
Flow might be a bit restricted but for flower pots and planters I'd see no problem.

/ Using an air hose reel for water.
Don't need a lot of pressure. Will have another hose for that. 3/8 inch will be fine.

Reel has 75' of hose and was $79.99. May not be too high quality but will do for the job I intend it for.

RSKY

/ Using an air hose reel for water. #7  
It leaks quite a bit after a while. :)

/ Using an air hose reel for water. #9  
My house water pressure is 50 psi and it was never a problem. Draining in cold weather is not necessary for me. It was frozen a couple times in the last few years and the rubber hose took it like a champ. Just turn off the pressure at the source when not in use and all is good. Otherwise, the leaking water will cause some rust quickly. The paint HF puts on offers no protection.

/ Using an air hose reel for water. #10  
Yes, but I left the regulator and water filter connected to it and nothing came out! :eek: :laughing:

reg.jpg