Using a linear actuator to control the top link

/ Using a linear actuator to control the top link #1  

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
Has anyone tried using a linear actuator to control the top link? It seems it would be easier to run 12V power to a switch than adding a hydraulic circuit, lines and a valve.

My applications would be to adjust the angle of rear mounted pallet forks and a box blade.

Something like this:

12 Volt Linear Actuators | Progressive Automations

/ Using a linear actuator to control the top link #2  
First question I have is will the linear actuator with stand the thrust and tension loads created by the loads on the 3PH?

/ Using a linear actuator to control the top link #3  
First question I have is will the linear actuator with stand the thrust and tension loads created by the loads on the 3PH?
Nope.

/ Using a linear actuator to control the top link #4  
Don, your link doesn't work. It might,,, but we'd need to know which class your 3ph is and capacity of the implements you hope to use. Electric actuators are great if installed and used properly.

/ Using a linear actuator to control the top link #5  
I would think that you would need something significantly more robust than you linked to above. Assuming a similar 2:1 max hold vs max push, your linked unit is 600 lb max push/pull and one could extrapolate based on the text below that it is a 1,200 lb max hold. Using a blade, be it a box or a grader, will subject your links to instantaneous loads that are likely much higher than your thinking. It's not the simple lifting/dropping forces that you are building for. It is the shock loading when you catch a root or small tree that at times will instantly stop your motion. Those forces combined with the tractor momentum and the engines forward thrust likely exceed 1,200 lbs very often. I don't know that the 4,000 lb HD linear actuator would take that abuse over the long term...

Something like this would likely be rubust enough to do as you ask:
The stainless steel shaft accompanied by metal gears allows it to push and pull up to 2000 lbs, and hold up to 4000 lbs.

Heavy Duty Linear Actuators | Progressive Automations

/ Using a linear actuator to control the top link #6  
That would sure be $133 wasted in about the first minute of actual operation. Sorry, it will take a whale of a linear actuator to perform this task as others have already pointed out.

/ Using a linear actuator to control the top link #7  
Consider a boom pole. Consider carrying an implement over bumps. Consider angles of force application over the lift range. Consider ground engaging implements and resulting compressional impulses.

/ Using a linear actuator to control the top link #8  
In addition to the load argument, keep in mind that an electric actuator uses a threaded rod that rotates through a threaded bushing or stop of some sort.

Even if kept properly lubed, the threads will wear and fail.

I guess the question is how many cycles can be completed before failure. My guess it is tremendously shorter then a hydraulic cylinder.

/ Using a linear actuator to control the top link #9  
In addition to the load argument, keep in mind that an electric actuator uses a threaded rod that rotates through a threaded bushing or stop of some sort.

Even if kept properly lubed, the threads will wear and fail.

I guess the question is how many cycles can be completed before failure. My guess it is tremendously shorter then a hydraulic cylinder.
I would like to see more explicit drawings. ... I think the screw rotates inside the ram. - So the clean and lubed environment is provided.

I would be worried about the huge range of oscillating and reversing forces that the unit would see, all at various extensions/sidethrust on the overlap -- along with vibration.​

/ Using a linear actuator to control the top link
Thanks guys. I guess it was a stupid idea. I just hate hydraulics but it looks like I better change my attitude about them.

BTW ArlyA, it is a Cat 1 3 pt on a 24HP JD855, and I was planning a getting the Land Pride BB1254 Box Blade and Titan forks

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Volvo DD70hf (A33544)
Volvo DD70hf (A33544)
Armstrong AG Bucket (A33041)
Armstrong AG...
2024 Greatbear UNUSED 20 ft. Bi-Parting Iron Gate (A33548)
2024 Greatbear...
Case IH 5100 Grain Drill (A33041)
Case IH 5100 Grain...
2 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard steel end...
Rhino 814 Field Cultivator (A33041)
Rhino 814 Field...