Using a container to store implements

/ Using a container to store implements #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
Yesterday I asked about modifying an old barn. Thank you for your responses.

You have me thinking about buying a high cube shipping container with side swing doors. The container would be off gird and I would like to have electricity. Does anyone have experience with solar panels and a battery to store electricity? I only need 110; I would have a few lights, a battery charger, and a few tools (grinder, circular saw, ect.) maybe a block heater for the few cold days.

All thoughts about containers are welcome. How high should it be elevated; I can pour a concrete ramp?

/ Using a container to store implements #2  
I have a container. It's very hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's small...access is difficult.
Plus side is it's watertight and secure. I got a once used container which was very clean, like new. But I soon realized it needed shade here in the SW or it would be about 140º inside. My solution won't be yours.

Attachments

• 66284144412__06E20F20-A0F8-4F15-B3FB-F2CF80721599.fullsizerender.jpg
    66284144412__06E20F20-A0F8-4F15-B3FB-F2CF80721599.fullsizerender.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
   / Using a container to store implements #3  
You'll end up with more invested in electrical than the container cost. I've wanted one of those containers for years but just never pulled the trigger on one and now they have gotten so expensive. At one time I could buy a new 40' for $1500 and Saturday I saw 40' units bring almost $5k. I can build a shed for that.

/ Using a container to store implements #4  
The things stored inside it are prone to rust, corrosion, rot, etc. moreso than if they sat outside under a carport. Gotta keep it ventilated! It must be level side to side or the doors will bind. They come standard without a box over the lock area. You'll need to get one if it doesn't have one.

As for a ramp, you'll want to do that after the container is set to be sure it doesn't interfere with opening the doors. I never drove anything into mine. However, my neighbor did and his ramp stopped a foot short and used a removable plate to cover the gap.

/ Using a container to store implements #5  
I have had a 40' box for the past 25 years, and have had no rust or moisture problems with just the existing ventilation. I suspect environment plays a role, so my experience may not be the rule.

It sets on 8 railroad ties leveled with concrete pillars that were poured in 5g buckets. For a ramp, I layed gravel into a 3 sided box (RR ties) which has worked out well. The tie that butts up to the box has finally worn out from driving my previous tractor and current mowers in and out though.
As another poster had mentioned, solar is not going to be cheap. Light would be an easy job, but power tools and the block heater is a whole different ball game. When I need power at my box I haul down a small 2kw inverter generator.

If I were to do it over again, I would get a high cube and doors on both ends. It can be a real hassle with doors on just one end.

/ Using a container to store implements #6  
Containers are difficult to use for floor space items. There's always something in front of what you need that needs to be moved. A set of doors on both ends would be very helpful but they're rare and more expensive.
For a secure workbenches with shelving enclosure they are great and cutting in some ventilation make it more comfortable inside. All it takes is a couple of RR ties or 4 solid 8x8x16 concrete blocks for it to sit on. (Placed under the extreme 4 corners)
They are also a good sturdy "structure" to build on like a lean to along one or both sides. A lot of guys will take 2 of them set 20' or more apart anf set roof trusses across them and have a building.

/ Using a container to store implements #7  
Seems a fellow could add a man door and better venting. If you covered the walls with 5/8 plywood and insulated behind that, then you could then hang junk from the walls. Of coarse by the time you're done this and that, maybe you could have built a garage? :unsure:

/ Using a container to store implements #8  
Some good info. here. I have a 40' HC I only paid $1700 for 5 years ago, but they are pretty expensive now. If this is something you are doing to save money, I think you got the wrong idea. If you just need lockable storage NOW, it is good for that.

/ Using a container to store implements #9  
   / Using a container to store implements #10  
You'll end up with more invested in electrical than the container cost. I've wanted one of those containers for years but just never pulled the trigger on one and now they have gotten so expensive. At one time I could buy a new 40' for $1500 and Saturday I saw 40' units bring almost $5k. I can build a shed for that.
Around here they are $2700 for a 20ft. Rarely see 40s here.