Using a chain as top link with attachments

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #31  
This is what I do. Not a bush hog but ....I use a short length of 5/16" chain with a logging choker hook on one end. I put the tractor top link pin through the choker hook. And put a keyhole slider on the implement top link pin. I can easily adjust the active chain length.

EDIT: I would not trust 1/4" chain. You can get quite a shock load if you go over a bump with the mower raised.

View attachment 808541

gg
You may be right about the chain. My mx5 hog weighs about 850 lbs and the 1/4 chain is rated at 1300. If it breaks, I'll go to the 5/16.

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #32  
I have used 1/4" chain for years for a top link on mowers and bush hogs, so far never had an issue with breakage. And I have been over some horribly rough/bumpy ground.

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #33  
You may be right about the chain. My mx5 hog weighs about 850 lbs and the 1/4 chain is rated at 1300. If it breaks, I'll go to the 5/16.
But only about half the weight is on the chain. The lower arms support the front of the mower, and chain only supports the rear, then only once the tail wheel comes off the ground.

The geometry of the links can change the load the chain gets. For example if the chain isn't parallel to the lower links the load would be somewhat greater than half the weight.

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #34  
The way I see it the top link can see a much greater force than the weight of the mower. Take a 6' mower that weighs 850 lbs lifted by the 3ph so it is horizontal and the top link is parallel to and 18" above the lower lift arms as in a Cat-1 3ph. Like this

F_TopLink.JPG

If I remember my physics - In this simple case the top link being horizontal does not supply any vertical forces therefore the entire 850 lbs of the mower is supported by the lower lift arms. The top link keeps the rear of the mower from rotating downward around the lift arm hinge point. The horizontal force on the top link is determined by 1/2 the diameter of the mower, it's weight, and the height of the top link above the lift arms as depicted in the diagram.

gg

Last edited:
   / Using a chain as top link with attachments #35  
The way I see it the top link can see a much bigger force than the weight of the mower. Take a 6' mower that weighs 850 lbs lifted by the 3ph so it is horizontal and the top link is parallel to and 18" above the lower lift arms as in a Cat-1 3ph. Like this
Gordon,

You are right. I had forgotten to take into account the difference between the height of the top link connection point and the length of the mower.

Your estimates are reasonable, so the top link sees around twice the weight of the mower, once the rear wheel is off the ground.

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #36  
There are many grades of chain. Each with their own breaking point.

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #37  
From a safety standpoint, having a chain in place of a rigid top link will allow the implement if caught rotate up onto the tractor. :eek: Depending on all the different circumstances that there may be determines how dangerous it might actually be.
That shouldn't be a problem if you have a cover over the PTO shaft.

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #38  
Using the chain now, I find that I can cut closer to the ground and not leave any skid ruts. I lifted the back wheel so that I can angle the front end of the hog up. I know this goes against traditional wisdom which says the back end should be higher to throw any debris out that way. But this way, I don't have to lift the mower every time I turn, which saves wear and tear on the lift arms.

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #39  
My Dad used a chain on the bush hog on our hilly area we mowed I always worried about it but it never broke and it never came close to the PTO shaft. It did a great job of keeping the whole hog floating with our ravines. Funny now I cant get some of my daredevil dirt bike riders to mow where I will still. I don't see a big deal with a chain unless you are going to snap load it all the time.
Chains were used on Rotary Cutters by lots of dads. They would mow places only angels would go.

With that said Rotary Cutters are the only thing I have seen chains used as a top link on. Farmers used a chain on a Rotary Cutter to prevent housing damage on the tractor. Top links do not bend they break or break the tractor housing. A chain would allow for the farmer to back the Rotary Cutter up some steep banks or traverse some steep ravines.

Last edited:
   / Using a chain as top link with attachments #40  
Using the chain now, I find that I can cut closer to the ground and not leave any skid ruts. I lifted the back wheel so that I can angle the front end of the hog up. I know this goes against traditional wisdom which says the back end should be higher to throw any debris out that way. But this way, I don't have to lift the mower every time I turn, which saves wear and tear on the lift arms.
No sooner had he spoke...
I ran over a patch of gravel and it threw some up on my back. Guess I better get a piece of metal or something over the back.