Using a blade and blower

/ Using a blade and blower #1  

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
I live in an area that requires a blower to keep the snow banks from "taking over". I was talking to salesman at the Kubota dealer and he has in interesting thought.

He suggested using the back blade to move snow from the edge of the driveway to the center, On the return pass, use the blower to blow the snow out. Repeat for the next pass...done in two trips and less wear and tear on the blower. For light snows under 3 inches, move the snow from both sides into the center and blow it out once.

Another advantage is that it reduces the time running in reverse if/when using a rear mounted blower. By pushing the snow to the center, it is easier to maintain/follow the edges. But with a rear blower I would require a front blade.

I seems like a good strategy to me. It is making me wonder if I can get by with a less expensive rear mounted blower that is also much easier to remove and attach than a front blower.

The downside is that with a heavy snowfall, it may not work with a smaller tractor.

Any other thoughts/comments?

Last edited:
   / Using a blade and blower #2  
Snow drifts a factor?
Would you be pulling snow with rear blade not pushing...no trips spring on blade.

/ Using a blade and blower #3  
The most efficient will be a front plow/rear blower. For most smaller snows, the plow will handle it, large storms or moving back the banks you use the blower.

If this is gravel , the idea of piling snow in the center and blowing will cause you lots of problems when dealing with freeze thaw cycles. Invariably you will get gravel in that pile and run it through the blower.

/ Using a blade and blower #4  
I agree with Deerherd. I use a front blade and rear blower. 80% of the winter I plow my gravel drive. Just last week I used the blower to knock down the piles I've plowed up all winter. I've checked my forecast and it appears by next week our winter will be almost over with warmer temps coming to stay. Yesterday I took off my chains, rear blower, and front plow and put the bucket back on. I doubt I will see any more significant snowfall but if we do I will just use the bucket.

/ Using a blade and blower #5  
Shooter, I use that method to clear my drive that is 3/8 mile long. I am north of you. I use the front blower on my BX2230 and pull the overflow into the center of the drive. Then I clear the other side, pulling the snow into the center. On the third pass I clear the center.

I also used the disc behind the tractor to try to break up some of the ice after last weeks rain and warm temperatures. I finished the disc work by using a "S" pattern. Jon

/ Using a blade and blower #6  
When I had my Ford 1700 and 3-point blower I just used the blower 100%. No moving the snow from here to there. It took three trips. The two sides and then down the center. I have a mile long gravel driveway.

Now I have a heavy duty Rhino 950 rear blade on my M6040. I can plow back any berms that form - if required.

/ Using a blade and blower #7  
When I had my Ford 1700 and 3-point blower I just used the blower 100%. No moving the snow from here to there. It took three trips. The two sides and then down the center. I have a mile long gravel driveway.

Now I have a heavy duty Rhino 950 rear blade on my M6040. I can plow back any berms that form - if required.

On my drive, let's say in the summer, it has a negative crown. ie, the dirt is higher next to the drive, than in the drive. Too many year of water running down the old abandoned road, now my drive. So I don't have the ability to push back the banks. Hence someone else suggested/commented that he did as OP is asking, and it works for me. Jon

/ Using a blade and blower #8  
shooterdon thank you for starting this thread.
I've also wondered how effective snow removal would be with a snow blower and blade.

We get allot of snow storms that are 6" or less.
I've been using a 3 point snow blower for the past 13 years but thought a loader mounted front blade might be helpful for those 6" or less snow storms.
Snow blowing while backing up is not an issue for me and I get great results with a three point snow blower and do not have to worry about gravel ending up in the wrong places or lawn damage.
My concern with using a blade is the gravel spreading mess I've heard so many folks complain about along with blade scars on the lawn once the snow melts.
Are the benefits of using a blade worth the additional hassle of returning misplaced gravel back on the driveway and patching a scared lawn during spring clean up ?

/ Using a blade and blower #9  
I use the plow truck for the nuisance snowfalls. We don’t get freeze thaw cycles except in November and early December. A front blower is used to move the banks back and clear the stacks left by the plow, as needed. I also do a modified version of windrowing, particularly in front of the garage.

I keep the box blade on the tractor to occasionally cut down the built up mat, especially as spring approaches.

I can’t imagine using a rear mount blower, or, as far as that goes, a tractor without a cab, to blow snow.

/ Using a blade and blower #10  

I'm not familiar with that blade. Unless you can set up for a large offset and wing back the banks, around here once the banks get to a certain point (3-4' high) for the most part the snow just falls back down into the plowed space after you go by and the drive gets narrower and narrower. One winter I had to have a loader come and push my banks back even though I was using a snowblower - it just couldn't blow over the top any more. Granted, that WAS a pretty wimpy 1-stage blower on a 40 year old garden tractor, but still.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

(10) Pallets of Pipe Rollers & (64) Stands (A33349)
(10) Pallets of...
ATTENTION! PLEASE READ (A33526)
ATTENTION! PLEASE...
John Deere 540M Front-end Loader (A33041)
John Deere 540M...
(1) 8" K1013 Air Valve & 6" R1014 Air Valve Actair 31C (A33349)
(1) 8" K1013 Air...
2017 Bobcat T550 Skid Steer (A33544)
2017 Bobcat T550...
2021 Bobcat E145 Excavator (A32803)
2021 Bobcat E145...