used tractor bad hyd cylinder?

/ used tractor bad hyd cylinder? #1  

sparkus

quick question:

I just picked up a case tractor and it has a FEL. The Front end loader works great except as it approaches full dump, then it falls the last couple of inches of travel.

It then won't work unless you get off the tractor and help it the first couple of inches.

I'm not a hydraulic guy, but everything else on the tractor works real well so I hope its not the overall hydraulics!

thanks,
sparkus

edited for english language.

/ used tractor bad hyd cylinder? #2  
Pull a line off one side and see if when you pressurize the other side if it bypasses the seal packing.

soundguy

/ used tractor bad hyd cylinder?
Sorry for the ignorance soundguy, but should I do that when the loader is in the full dump where it won't work properly?

Thanks for the help!

/ used tractor bad hyd cylinder? #4  
Yes. Pull the line that is used to bring the bucket back up. Then pressurize the line that would dump it more. A little dribble of fluid is normal on older systems. More than that and you have issues. A bath, means it is worn, cracked, broken. If the cylinder moves a bit,there will be a squirt, keep the lever engaged and see how much is bypassing when the cylinder is not moving.

jb

/ used tractor bad hyd cylinder? #5  
Sounds like one of the dump cylinder bores is badly pitted at the bottom. Probably the result of moisture in the hydraulic oil and setting a long time. The water settled to the bottom of the oil on the rod end of the cylinder and pitted the bore surface. Now fluid bypasses the piston via this pitting and performs no work with the cylinder fully extended(full dump). You will most likley have to replace one or both dump cylinders.

/ used tractor bad hyd cylinder? #6  
It also could be the seal on the piston travelling past the cylinder port on the cap end of the cylinder. If your cylinders are operating properly throughout their stroke until the last couple inches, the seals are ok. You most likely have a bad spot in the end of one cylinder.