Used tires for an old backhoe

/ Used tires for an old backhoe #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I have an old Case 580B backhoe that I use about ten to fifteen hours a summer to clean out around drainage pipes. The tires that are on it are rotten and I was wondering if I could find a place that replaces tires of this size and would sell me a used set. Like I said I only use this hoe in the summer time and on flat ground, so I don't want to buy brand new tires that will rot before I ever get close to wearing them out. I don't care how much tread is on them. I just need tires that are not rotten. Anyone have any ideas on this one? The size is 17.5L x 24. Thanks in advance. RRM

/ Used tires for an old backhoe #2  
I have an old Case 580B backhoe that I use about ten to fifteen hours a summer to clean out around drainage pipes. The tires that are on it are rotten and I was wondering if I could find a place that replaces tires of this size and would sell me a used set. Like I said I only use this hoe in the summer time and on flat ground, so I don't want to buy brand new tires that will rot before I ever get close to wearing them out. I don't care how much tread is on them. I just need tires that are not rotten. Anyone have any ideas on this one? The size is 17.5L x 24. Thanks in advance. RRM

Since you do not have a location listed in your profile, it will be somewhat meaningless for anyone to respond.
Sure: I know a great place for used tires in Orlando.

/ Used tires for an old backhoe #3  
I would start with any local shops that sell industrial tires or that service that type of machine. See if they have any take-offs. Then maybe check with larger contractors or excavation companies that do their own service.

/ Used tires for an old backhoe #4  
Try Craigslist, might take a while, but you might find the same size already on rims.
If it's a 2wd, you can get away with a little larger or smaller tire (until it hits the fender).

Aaron Z

/ Used tires for an old backhoe #5  
Tires can be prety **** rotted before they fail. Do you have tubes? This could make there life even longer.

Also at 10-15hrs a year why still own the backhoe?

/ Used tires for an old backhoe #6  
Tires can be prety **** rotted before they fail. Do you have tubes? This could make there life even longer.

A piece of equipment that is paid for and doesn't cost you anything to store is still worth having even if used only 15 hours per year. My 12K trailer is not used much but when I need it to haul something, I dont have to try to find a rental to use so I wont be selling it anytime soon. I am sure the OP is in the same boat, why rent when you already have something that works and only costs diesel to run it.

/ Used tires for an old backhoe #7  

I can answer that,.... just for me though......
I am 79 years old, I can afford to have some $ invested in my 250 hour Kubota L48 TLB, and I like having it available for whatever/whenever I might need it.
I too don't use it more than 10-15 hours each year.
Why not?
I just wish I could have the VA dig my casket hole with it.

Last edited:
   / Used tires for an old backhoe #8  

Because 15 hours on a backhoe is a LONG time behind a shovel. If you’re taking the rental option it’s about $500 a weekend after delivery. Rent twice at $1000 a year or continue keeping your paid for backhoe at very few dollars per year.

/ Used tires for an old backhoe #9  
Because 15 hours on a backhoe is a LONG time behind a shovel. If you’re taking the rental option it’s about $500 a weekend after delivery. Rent twice at $1000 a year or continue keeping your paid for backhoe at very few dollars per year.

An excellent comparison!