Used oil mixed with diesel?

/ Used oil mixed with diesel? #1  

Wolfy

Veteran Member
Tractor
a fleet of them
Do any of you mix used ( but well filtered ) engine oil with new diesel then running it as fuel in older tractors. I thought maybe 5% or 10%, but maybe it's a dumb idea?

/ Used oil mixed with diesel? #2  
I've been known to put a tiny splash of high quality 2 stroke in the mix, but I wouldn't use waste motor oil, filtered or not, just me.

/ Used oil mixed with diesel? #3  
Do any of you mix used ( but well filtered ) engine oil with new diesel then running it as fuel in older tractors. I thought maybe 5% or 10%, but maybe it's a dumb idea?

Cummins ISM heavy duty diesel engines had what was called a Centinel System. Centinel metered a very small quantity of used crankcase oil into the fuel filter inlet. The metering was controlled by the engine ECM so that it maintained up to 0.2% oil with incoming fuel from the tank. That oil went through the fuel filter as well. Issues you run into with mixing used oil will be around the acid content of used oil as well as some potential issues with soot. Soot is actually abrasive. There could be some issues with fuel injection plunger and barrel scoring with excessive oil additions.

/ Used oil mixed with diesel? #5  
It is done a lot without troubles, MUST be filtered. When you figure you have run it through enough filtering do it one more time.

/ Used oil mixed with diesel? #6  
I've done it in my Kubota for years now with no ill effects. I run 2 qts oil per 5 gallons fuel and the machine doesn't run or smoke any different.

/ Used oil mixed with diesel? #7  
I wouldn't do it.

Used to put a little used oil into my fuel oil for our furnace.

Have also sat a container of used oil in our wood stove to burn it off and get fuel oil value of it. A local mechanic uses his via a drip system that drips used oil into his wood stove.

Ralph

/ Used oil mixed with diesel? #8  
Not used engine oil, but yes to 2 stroke oil mixed into fuel at about 5% or less..

/ Used oil mixed with diesel?
I have a friend with a waste oil shop heater, so getting rid of the used oil is not a issue, also realize such a ratio would only be a $2 savings per 5 gallon jug. I have a handful of diesels, with few fuel problems...I have never used heating oil in any of them...don't want issues to start now. I probably should scrap this idea. No harm done, just thinking outside the box.

/ Used oil mixed with diesel? #10  
hmm WASTE product into the EXPENSIVE fuel system... not something I'd be a fan of.

works ok on big ships.. but not my diesels.. ;)

soundguy