Rear Finish Mower Used Landpride finish mower price check

/ Used Landpride finish mower price check #1  

thefisherman

Tractor
2017 Massey Ferguson GC1715 DL95
I'm very new to the tractor and implement world. I've got my tractor picked out - GC1715 - and am picking out implements.

I'm trying to save a few bucks and am comparing a new Tar River (Chinese made I think) 57.5" rear finish mower @ $1300 from the dealer, or I just found a used Landpride FDR1560 for only $400. Now, it looks to be an older unit, but the owner says it needs nothing and cuts well. Personally I feel like an older US-made unit will probably be a better bet than a new import. I haven't checked it out in person yet, will try to do that this evening if I can leave work on time.

Is $400 a fair price? Is there anything in particular I should ask/look at?

fdr1560_1.jpg fdr1560_2.jpg fdr1560_3.jpg

/ Used Landpride finish mower price check #2  
One of my finish mowers that is still in service, is probably older then you are.
At $400 if the spindles aren't worn out, it will prob. last longer then your first tractor.

/ Used Landpride finish mower price check #3  
If the gear box is all good and spindles that mower is worth $400 all day long.. I would rather buy good condition older than new some times..

/ Used Landpride finish mower price check
One of my finish mowers that is still in service, is probably older then you are.
At $400 if the spindles aren't worn out, it will prob. last longer then your first tractor.

If the gear box is all good and spindles that mower is worth $400 all day long.. I would rather buy good condition older than new some times..

How would one go about checking spindles? Same as on a regular mower deck, just listen for any funny business when rotating: grinding, squeaking, resistance, etc.? How about the gearbox? I'd assume check the oil level to make sure it's not been run low, anything else?

And I'm kind of on the same page. Older made-in-America equipment is almost guaranteed to be better overall quality than even new Chinese stuff. I'm a handy guy with a full toolbox, a grinder and a welder: anything metal can be whatever I want it to be. :laughing:

/ Used Landpride finish mower price check #5  
How would one go about checking spindles? Same as on a regular mower deck, just listen for any funny business when rotating: grinding, squeaking, resistance, etc.? How about the gearbox? I'd assume check the oil level to make sure it's not been run low, anything else?

And I'm kind of on the same page. Older made-in-America equipment is almost guaranteed to be better overall quality than even new Chinese stuff. I'm a handy guy with a full toolbox, a grinder and a welder: anything metal can be whatever I want it to be. :laughing:

Yup... If it passes all those tests it's probably good.

But before I bought it I would check & see if you can buy blades for it.
Being a Landpride I would suspect you can.

/ Used Landpride finish mower price check #6  
I just bought the same mower in 48" for $350 3 weeks ago, and am very pleased with the cut. I will dress the blades and use the dickens out if it behind my 7100..

/ Used Landpride finish mower price check
I just bought the same mower in 48" for $350 3 weeks ago, and am very pleased with the cut. I will dress the blades and use the dickens out if it behind my 7100..

That's exactly what I like to hear, thank you for the feedback!

/ Used Landpride finish mower price check #8  
I am glad to share experience, and hope it works well for you.

/ Used Landpride finish mower price check #9  
I would buy good used Landpride over new Chinese anyday.

/ Used Landpride finish mower price check #10  
In good working condition, that is a great price. i would act quickly.