Used Kubota M7040. What do I need to know?

/ Used Kubota M7040. What do I need to know? #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I have had a Kubota L4400 4wd for about 18 years now. Love it. Great tractor. Has fit my needs perfectly for years. Lately I have been considering a larger tractor but not seriously. I recently got a portable sawmill and hauling large logs is taxing the L4400. Plus, my daughter and her husband have been eyeing my tractor because they need one.

Anyway, I was foolishly perusing Tractor House and up pops a2007 M7040D 4wd with 2000 hours on it about 20 minutes from my house and being sold, possibly, by one of my wife's kinfolk. She's asleep right now so I'm not able to ask her. They are asking $28,500.

Things I want are 4wd, which it has, mechanical trans, which it has and no pollution/DEF/ computer crap which it does not have. From the pictures the tires look good. Does not appear to have been abused for what that's worth. Certainly no worse than my 2005 L4400. It has a shade but no cab. I do not want a cab. It has a quick detach bucket which is nice.

So, two sides to my question:

1) What do I need to look for specifically in a Kubota M7040 with 2000 hours if I decide to go look at and drive this thing? Are there known issues with this tractor? Does that seem like a fair price? (Seems high to me).

2) What do I need to look for generally in a 15 year old tractor with 2000 hours on it? I have never bought a used tractor.

An M6040 would probably be in line with my needs and budget but I can't find one of those within 500 miles of here. Any reason going "up" to a 7040 would be problematic?

Thanks guys. Any insight into this much appreciated.

/ Used Kubota M7040. What do I need to know? #2  
With the owner's permission, I'd be draining a sample of fluids from the front axle/hubs, also checking what the fluids on the dip sticks for the engine and transmission look/feel like.

Not definitive, but "might" provide some insight into it's maintenance.

/ Used Kubota M7040. What do I need to know? #4  
Does $28,500 seem like a fair price for a Kubota M7040 Loader with 2000 hours? (Seems high to me).

Inside stored or outside stored?

I used the specs you provided to price a new 4-WD M7060 Loader with minimal options on Kubota's web site. About $50,000 MSRP plus sales tax.

2,000 hours / 15 years = 133 engine hours per year.
Creampuff for a 5,000 pound bare weight tractor, usually used for real farming.

What value do you place on your L4400? $12,000?

I have had a Kubota L4400 4wd for 18 years.
What do I need to look for generally in a 15 year old tractor with 2000 engine hours?

You have unusual experience with an aging, moderate weight Kubota tractor. It is unlikely anyone will exceed your experience.

M7060HD - 4WD TRACTOR W/HYDRAULIC SHUTTLE & ROPS
5e0e9b0f-897b-47e5-84c3-5c05b2162268.jpg

Suggested List Price with options.
$47,134.00
OPTIONS
1 FRONT - 9.5-24 R1 TITAN TRU GRIP LUG
REAR - 16.9-30 R1 DURA TORQ 17MM HOLESinc.
(AMR8955C & AMR8932D)
1 72" TWO-LEVER QUICK ATTACH ROUND BACK BUCKET$789.00
(M1811)
1 FRONT LOADER (2 LEVER TYPE QUICK COUPLER)$5,704.00
(LA1154A)

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / Used Kubota M7040. What do I need to know? #5  
I would want to see it, ask what it was used for, run it and take a look at maintenance schedule.
Asking price is one thing, selling price is another. Used tractors are very expensive right now. Non-emissions models fetching top dollar.
Is it a hydraulic shuttle?
I owned an M7040 and thought it was a terrific tractor. You’ve picked a great model.
Id want to be at about 1/2 or less than the price of new. With today’s used “premiums”, it might be a challenge.

1641990631554.jpeg

/ Used Kubota M7040. What do I need to know?
Price sounds high for the hours
I thought so too until I did a lot of searches on this tractor. It is in line with what I'm seeing nation wide. But, as someone mentioned, this is the asking price. It might come down.

Does $28,500 seem like a fair price for a Kubota M7040 Loader with 2000 hours? (Seems high to me).

Inside stored or outside stored?

Don't know. Will have to ask. Pictures aren't great but it looks like it is starting to get that blush of Kubota pink that outdoor tractors, like mine, tend to get.

I used the specs you provided to price a new 4-WD M7060 Loader with minimal options on Kubota's web site. About $50,000 MSRP plus sales tax.

I would hope to get this one down to $25,000.
What value do you place on your L4400? $12,000?

About that. Would probably let it go for less if selling it to my daughter but I'd still like to get something for it. In truth, I'd like to keep it. I do a fair amount of stuff on narrow woods roads and in the woods as well. The L4400 is small enough to do that fairly well. Not sure the finances are there for keeping it though.

I have had a Kubota L4400 4wd for 18 years.
What do I need to look for generally in a 15 year old tractor with 2000 engine hours?

You have unusual experience with an aging, moderate weight Kubota tractor. It is unlikely anyone will exceed your experience.
I got it in 2005 so I guess it is 17 years. It only has 600 hours. But they have been hard hours. From initial abuse because I did not know what I was doing to ongoing abuse because I knew how far I could push it. But, it still runs great and of the very few problems it has had they have all been because of something I did wrong or to mice/rats. They were all repaired and not at any great expense. It has been a stellar machine.

I would want to see it, ask what it was used for, run it and take a look at maintenance schedule.

It is close by so if I decide to pursue this I will go see it, drive it, ask a lot of questions and if possible look at some of the fluids. My wife says the owner is one of her distant cousins. We only see him once every year or so at family reunions. Not close enough to get a family discount. ;-)

Used tractors are very expensive right now. Non-emissions models fetching top dollar.

This is very true right now. I talk to a lot of folks who are actively seeking these pre-emission tractors and paying top dollar when they find them.

Is it a hydraulic shuttle?

No, it is the DT model, which I think is mechanical shuttle shift, which is what I prefer.

I owned an M7040 and thought it was a terrific tractor. You’ve picked a great model.

Good to know. Probably more tractor than I need but I'm not seeing any M5040s or M6040s anywhere near me.

Id want to be at about 1/2 or less than the price of new. With today’s used “premiums”, it might be a challenge.
It looks like the new version of this tractor without a cab is in the $45-50k range. So if I can get him down to $25k that would be close but still a lot of money for a well used utility tractor.

/ Used Kubota M7040. What do I need to know? #9  
Tractors, especially pre emissions ones are selling for stupid high prices today and getting worse as time passes because, they aren't making anymore and so the quantity is finite. As the playing field shrinks, the price increases. I have 2 of them and they are each worth almost what the new price was. In fact, my dealer was at the farm today and offered me 32 cash for my 02, well maintained M9 open station. I paid 36 new for it. Has over 6K well maintained hours on it. needs nothing and I just serviced it in the fall. Not for sale. I need it, but it's like money in the bank right now. same applies to my 04. It has less hours on it, but is a fully optioned out cab model. Gave 48 for it new. I bet I could get 45 tomorrow. Not for sale either.

Just traded in my 7 year old NH round baler and got 26 for it. Paid 30 for it 7 years ago. probably could have held out for more. Bought a new 2021 Kubota round baler to replace it. All in the new bailer cost me 10 grand.

The other thing I have to think seriously about is that all of my implements are Cat 1. I can change the pins on the mower, disk, spreader, two bottom plow and rake. The box blade and my chipper have Cat 1 sized holes and would need to be drilled out or some sort of adapter pin used. Not sure how all that would work. Also would be concerned about tearing up Cat 1 ground engaging stuff with the heavier more powerful tractor.