Used Kubota L4240 GST - What to look out for?

/ Used Kubota L4240 GST - What to look out for? #1  

LADPT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240 GST & Mahindra 4530
I’m going to look at a 2010 L4240 GST with 724 loader tomorrow. 1,200 hours.

Anything specific to this model, specifically the GST transmission to check out?

What would you be willing to pay?

/ Used Kubota L4240 GST - What to look out for? #2  
I have a 2001 L3010 and I love it. I would look for any leaks (there won't be any) and general condition. I would run it through all the gears and make sure each shift engagement is crisp (you don't have to jiggle to find a gear) and clutching is smooth.

/ Used Kubota L4240 GST - What to look out for? #3  

/ Used Kubota L4240 GST - What to look out for? #4  
Park it up to something unmovable and see if it will spin the tires . My father loaned out his GST for one weekend and it returned with a smoked clutch. The dealership who sold the tractor new to us replaced the clutch. One of the owners showed me, it was the bluest clutch he ever saw. The idiot who borrowed the tractor admitted to using 7th gear the entire time he was in the seat....I will give him credit though, he did pay for the clutch.

/ Used Kubota L4240 GST - What to look out for?
Front grill and headlights are busted. Looks like an $800-1,000 fix. Seat is cracked. Couple hundred bucks for that.

Assuming everything else checks out, is $15k a decent price? It was recently relisted, down from $16.5k

/ Used Kubota L4240 GST - What to look out for? #6  
That seems a little high. You could have a brand new tractor with 0% for not much more if your financing it. If you're a cash buyer I'd think you could do better than $15.

/ Used Kubota L4240 GST - What to look out for? #7  
check the split pin in the bottom of the clutch housing. the input shaft seal has a tendancy to leak and requires splitting the tractor to do it. they usually leak at low hours and apparently there are upgraded parts available from kubota so it has probably already been done on that tractor.

tie rod ends are sometimes an issue. and front axle bearings. check if the wheels wiggle.

don't know if the 2010's had the cable operated PTO lever or the Hydraulic push button PTO. If Hydraulic you may want to check the pressure . Mine was low and I think the PTO clutch is starting to go on it. also requires a split to replace the PTO clutch.

will require a 1/8 npt hose with a gauge that reads 0-500 psi
should be around 350-400 psi at pto rpm with the oil at 40 degrees celsius
mine was at 280 before adjustment.

/ Used Kubota L4240 GST - What to look out for?
Well I brought it home for $10k. Has some cosmetic damage I can live with. May fix some. The important stuff works well. Gonna have a tractor repair friend give it a thorough inspection and run on his dyno. Currently researching a nice comfy seat.

/ Used Kubota L4240 GST - What to look out for? #9  
That is a great deal. You will like the GST.

/ Used Kubota L4240 GST - What to look out for? #10  
Well I brought it home for $10k. Has some cosmetic damage I can live with. May fix some. The important stuff works well. Gonna have a tractor repair friend give it a thorough inspection and run on his dyno. Currently researching a nice comfy seat.
I think you did well, barring anything major mechanical.