Used chipper prices?

/ Used chipper prices? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Any idea what a used 3pt chipper in nice condition might cost? I've got a lot of mature evergreen bottom branches to cut and chip and a 3 pt chipper would be the right tool to use. No risk from a burn pile fire near the house and I can proceed at my pace rather than a rush job with a rental engine driven chipper.

I have owned a chipper before that it took up to 3" and was self feed. I forget the name but sold it because it was too slow and sometimes bound up with smaller pieces. So, I'm thinking 4" or so with a larger sized unit better able to take wood faster even though I would mostly do 2" branches. Any ideas what a used one would go for and preferred brands? Thanks in advance. :dog:

/ Used chipper prices? #2  
A couple years ago I found a lightly used 4" Wallinstien gravity feed on Craig's list, I paid 1100.00 for it.

/ Used chipper prices?
A couple years ago I found a lightly used 4" Wallinstien gravity feed on Craig's list, I paid 1100.00 for it.

How did you find the gravity feed worked?

/ Used chipper prices? #4  
I had a gravity feed Wallenstein too. The gravity feed worked fine.

There are two classes of chippers, those that chip primarily 2"+ material and chipper/shredders that shred leaves and branches. One chipper will not do both tasks well.

The problems with chippers are two: clogs and maintenance. Clogs have to do with above.

Maintenance has to do with maintaining blades sharp. PTO chippers have from one to four blades. Better chippers have four. The blades need to be removed periodically from the heavy drum, which is difficult, then sharpened precisely, perhaps 12" of edge for four blades, then reinstalled and adjusted. (Sharpening requires precision. There are several services that sharpen vis US mail or a machine shop can do the sharpening and honing.)
THIS IS A LOT OF WORK.

In your favor you anticipate chipping a single type of wood. Chipping mixed hardwood and softwood leads to many more stoppages because optimal blade adjustment differs for hardwoods and softwoods.

Good luck.

I sold my Wallenstein because I found burning trimmings and BUYING mulch was better use of my time.

If you decide to proceed buy the largest intake capacity chipper you can afford.

Last edited:
   / Used chipper prices? #5  
new guy here, I have looked at chippers and have come to the conclusion that renting a big unit for a weekend is cheaper and you can feed a lot of branches thru a bigger chipper.

/ Used chipper prices? #6  
That would be good and I reserved a Brush Bandit rental with the rental cost applicable to a purchase...

Show up to pick up the rental and the guys have me hitched up and get the safety demo...

Just about to leave and the counter guy says he forgot to get a copy of my contractor license???

I'm not a contractor, only property maintenance and Christmas Tree Farm in the family...

Stops everything... they have a huddle and say they can sell me one but unfortunately not rent me one due to liability...

Yes... I was seriously considering buying it for the business.

We do have a feed 3 point that is working well.

Attachments

• IMG_20171230_151948198_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171230_151948198_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 176
   / Used chipper prices? #7  
How did you find the gravity feed worked?

I've had a gravity feed Bear Cat for over 10 years. It works very well for me. People who do chipping for a living need mechanical feed, but for most of us it's a waste of money and maintenance effort. Gravity feed takes longer, but if you are only using it a few times a year to clean up newly-gathered brush it's perfect.

There are two classes of chippers, those that chip primarily 2"+ material and chippers that shred leaves and branches. One chipper will not do both tasks well.

I don't know what you mean by two classes of chippers. Chippers don't do very well with leaves and small (under half inch) brush. That's what shredders are for. If you need to do a lot of small stuff you need a chipper/shredder. If you only do a little of that a chipper will do.

The problems with chippers are two: clogs and maintenance. Clogs have to do with above.

I've never had a clog in my chipper in all the time I've owned it.

Maintenance has to do with maintaining blades sharp. PTO chippers have from one to four blades. Better chippers have four. The blades need to be removed periodically from the heavy drum, which is difficult, then sharpened precisely, perhaps 12" of edge for four blades, then reinstalled and adjusted. (Sharpening requires precision. There are several services that sharpen vis US mail or a machine shop can do the sharpening and honing.)
THIS IS A LOT OF WORK.

Removing the blades isn't difficult if you buy one that offers reasonable access to the flywheel. My Bear Cat requires me to remove one bolt and swing the output chute to the side. The blades are then exposed and then can easily be removed with a socket wrench. The only "difficulty" is I sometimes have to dig out the dirt or whatever that collects around the head of the bold with a small screwdriver.

My old chipper/shredder was a pain to sharpen the blades. You had to take off the top of the shredder chute to access the blades. There were lots of bolts, some hidden behind the belt guards, and the part you had to take off was heavy and awkward enough to be pain to remove.

The blades do have to be very sharp to self-feed. They still feel sharp to the touch when they are too dull to self-feed. I have a Tormek wet sharpening system that holds them at a fixed angle that makes sharpening easy. My blades, like many, are sharpened on both sides, so you only have to sharpen them every other time; in between just turn them around.

Getting one with a blower is really worthwhile. My first chipper/shredder didn't have one and I had to stop and clear the chips out from under it every few minutes. A blower also helps when using it to do spring cleanup of fallen branches - just point the chute at the woods and let the chips fall where they may.

Having one handy of occasionally work throughout the year is the best reason to own rather than rent one in my view.

/ Used chipper prices?
   / Used chipper prices? #9  
Thanks... Mom is always one to pitch in and always finding something that needs doing... she chipped all the unsold trees... all I did was move the tractor around.

She loves spending time at the tree farm... being able to help is very important to her plus her growing up on a family Diary farm likes being around the cows, pigs, chickens, horses... well they never had horses on the farm...

After shopping for used units my brother opted to go with the 3-point with feed based on favorable TBN comments...

When it arrived the knives were way out of spec... dialed them in and unit has been working well the last two seasons... so no long term report. Another plus is not having another motor to maintain...

Mom ran her last full marathon at age 75...

/ Used chipper prices?
Thanks... Mom is always one to pitch in and always finding something that needs doing.

Mom ran her last full marathon at age 75...

You can tell she keeps active. How old is she in the photo?