Used Cab: L5740 vs. L6060

/ Used Cab: L5740 vs. L6060 #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
What am I missing on the advantages of each?

L5740HSTC- Simpler Tier 3 Emissions, Better (more protective) hose routing, slightly lower prices, more used units on the market

L6060HSTC- Less smoke, larger cab, newer, slightly more power (insignificant?), slightly less fuel(?)

I haven't been seeing/hearing of many real issues related to Tier 4. My MX5100 stinks up my shop and I wouldn't mind Tier 4 for that reason, but there is obviously something to be said for the relative simplicity of Tier 3. I have not found a LXX40 series cab to check out around here, so I don't understand the difference in sizes of the two cabs. Overall I'm thinking maybe I don't care which model, if I find the right tractor?

/ Used Cab: L5740 vs. L6060 #2  
L5740HSTC- Simpler Tier 3 emission abatement, Better (more protective) hose routing, slightly lower prices, more used units on the market

L6060HSTC- Less smoke, larger cab, newer, slightly more power (insignificant?), slightly less fuel(?)

You have it. I have an early Tier IV, a L3560 from February 2013.

Insignificant power difference at LOW altitude. Tier IV is reputed to give slightly better fuel economy. Far more important to fuel economy is how intelligently the operator runs the tractor.

If you are over 6,000 feet altitude in Colorado a turbocharged engine will provide a significant power advantage.

Keep in mind that the MX5100/L5740/L6060 are built on the same chassis and share the same engine block. Unless you want the de luxe features of a Grand L and less smoke with the L6060, you will not notice too much difference. The MX series are BASIC. THE Grand Ls are DE LUXE.

Have you discussed degree of smoke with your Kubota dealer? May be a simple adjustment or fix.

Can't you simply move the MX5100 outside? Or is the MX5100 open station, and you are ready for a CAB tractor?

/ Used Cab: L5740 vs. L6060
You have it. I have an early Tier IV, a L3560 from February 2013.

Insignificant power difference at LOW altitude. Tier IV is reputed to give slightly better fuel economy. Far more important to fuel economy is how intelligently the operator runs the tractor.

If you are over 6,000 feet altitude in Colorado a turbocharged engine will provide a significant power advantage.

Keep in mind that the MX5100/L5740/L6060 are built on the same chassis and share the same engine block. Unless you want the de luxe features of a Grand L and less smoke with the L6060, you will not notice too much difference. The MX series are BASIC. THE Grand Ls are DE LUXE.

Have you discussed degree of smoke with your Kubota dealer? May be a simple adjustment or fix.

Can't you simply move the MX5100 outside? Or is the MX5100 open station, and you are ready for a CAB tractor?

After a few bad "episodes" this winter I am ready to switch to a cab. Love my MX, I'd be OK with the same tractor with a cab. The smoke is only an issue at start-up, it is usually 35 to 45F in our shop in the winter mornings, so there is about 3 to 10 seconds of smoke, depending on temp and how long I go on the glow plugs. We live off-grid (PV and batteries) so I try not to use the block heater, that's why storing outside is not a good option. The smoke issue is secondary, I'd be OK with the 5740 which I imagine is quite similar at start-up. Our elevation is 9000ft, so turbo is a requirement.

/ Used Cab: L5740 vs. L6060 #4  
After a few bad "episodes" this winter I am ready to switch to a cab. Love my MX, I'd be OK with the same tractor with a cab. The smoke is only an issue at start-up, it is usually 35 to 45F in our shop in the winter mornings, so there is about 3 to 10 seconds of smoke, depending on temp and how long I go on the glow plugs. We live off-grid (PV and batteries) so I try not to use the block heater, that's why storing outside is not a good option. The smoke issue is secondary, I'd be OK with the 5740 which I imagine is quite similar at start-up. Our elevation is 9000ft, so turbo is a requirement.

Been there done that. Just upgraded to a L4060hstc from a L3200. I'm at 6,500' here in Parker (Denverish) & really wish I had a turbo. Unfortunately it was a matter of $$$. Go with a turbo TYM or LS or the nicer Kubota with HST+ but no turbo. I'm slightly annoyed with the performance at times, but not disappointed. I couldn't afford the extra $5k to jump to a L4760 (also had the bigger loader). I'd do it the same if I were to buy over again.

Not sure where the Kubota turbos start but it's a couple models up. All of the Lxx60s except the L3560 use the same chassis so it's just a matter of HP, tires & the lift links they put on the 3pt. For marketing reasons, I assume,you can only get the big 1000 somethong loader on the L4760 or bigger. I'm not unhappy with my medium LA805? Loader, but more lift capacity is never a bad thing.

/ Used Cab: L5740 vs. L6060 #5  
I traded in a perfectly good L5030HSTC in for a L5740HSTC to avoid the L6060HSTC because of the exposed hoses especially the third function, low fuel tank and dire predictions on the Tier IV. Tier IV has proven to be much better than expected and lots of people like the low tank, we have an above ground tank and don't have to use fuel cans, so it's not an issue for us. The left foot brakes and lack of foot clutch are selling points for many on the L60.

Best advice is pretty much always the same, drive them both and get the one you prefer. There are other brands I like, but chances are you're going to get a better trade on a Kubota, but it doesn't hurt to look around and see.

I traded in a perfectly good L5030HSTC in for a L5740HSTC to avoid the L6060HSTC because of the exposed hoses especially the third function, low fuel tank and dire predictions on the Tier IV. Tier IV has proven to be much better than expected and lots of people like the low tank, we have an above ground tank and don't have to use fuel cans, so it's not an issue for us. The left foot brakes and lack of foot clutch are selling points for many on the L60.

Best advice is pretty much always the same, drive them both and get the one you prefer. There are other brands I like, but chances are you're going to get a better trade on a Kubota, but it doesn't hurt to look around and see.

I might have to travel to look at a L5740 (or 5240) because I haven't seen any within a couple hundred miles of here. That's part of what's making my decision more difficult. We also have an elevated tank for diesel, so filling up on top doesn't matter. The 60 series does seem more vulnerable to mishap.

And I'm sticking with Kubota, our local dealer is OK, and better than the Deere dealer. (If you're not a big ag customer around here, feels like you are down on Tier 2, or 3). And there is an excellent Kubota dealer over in Bayfield, CO. If we had a Kioti dealer anywhere nearby, especially if they had a good mechanic or two, I'd be looking at those.

/ Used Cab: L5740 vs. L6060 #8  
And I'm sticking with Kubota, our local dealer is OK, and better than the Deere dealer. (If you're not a big ag customer around here, feels like you are down on Tier 2, or 3). And there is an excellent Kubota dealer over in Bayfield, CO. If we had a Kioti dealer anywhere nearby, especially if they had a good mechanic or two, I'd be looking at those.

Much the same situation here with the exception of Deere, my brother had to travel out of state to buy his Kioti and accepts he'll do all the work on it, but he's a mechanic and I'm not.

I agree on the 5240/5740, I would have been happy with either, same tractor.

That's our driveway, yesterday. The V-plow is 32.5" tall. When looking at buying the MX in 2011, my wife urged me to get something with a cab, but I thought I'd save us a few grand. Lesson learned.
20170124_100618.jpg

/ Used Cab: L5740 vs. L6060 #10  

Agreed, regarding fueling.

Refilling anything other than a small CUT with fuel cans is a PITA that becomes increasingly more of a problem with age.

My L6060 with low level filler is easy to refill but my M9960 with rear mounted filler is a royal PITA, especially with something mounted on the three point.

I'm currently shopping for a fuel caddy with built in pump.

SDT