Use top link with subframe backhoe BH76?

/ Use top link with subframe backhoe BH76? #1  

ning

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
I was talking to my dealer recently - I was hoping to get pins to replace the bolts that the backhoe subframe hooks on to and the lower links of the 3pt hitch attach to, to make swapping from 3pt to BH quicker (answer seems to be, "pins someone tried bent and had to be cut to be removed, so don't" - but I'd imagine there are pins make of the same stuff the bolts are made of?).

The dealer mentioned that Branson is now advising people to use a top link with the subframe backhoe.
Does anyone here do that? I can see why - there's significant bounce if you're not really gradual with lowering the backhoe boom. However, some posts on TBN mention warnings about damage to the toplink mount, and, doesn't using a top link kinda defeat part of the point of a subframe mount?

(in case it matters: Tractor=3520h, Backhoe=BH76).

/ Use top link with subframe backhoe BH76? #2  
I made a subframe and adapted a Jinma Hoe to my 3510 Branson and put the top link on to make it more secure.
Used it for about 12 years but sold it recently and bought a new hoe.
You can see the top link in the pic.
Also mounted the seat using another hole and pin.

Attachments

• DSCN1279.JPG
    DSCN1279.JPG
    728.7 KB · Views: 191
   / Use top link with subframe backhoe BH76? #3  
I was talking to my dealer recently - I was hoping to get pins to replace the bolts that the backhoe subframe hooks on to and the lower links of the 3pt hitch attach to, to make swapping from 3pt to BH quicker (answer seems to be, "pins someone tried bent and had to be cut to be removed, so don't" - but I'd imagine there are pins make of the same stuff the bolts are made of?).

The dealer mentioned that Branson is now advising people to use a top link with the subframe backhoe.
Does anyone here do that? I can see why - there's significant bounce if you're not really gradual with lowering the backhoe boom. However, some posts on TBN mention warnings about damage to the toplink mount, and, doesn't using a top link kinda defeat part of the point of a subframe mount?

(in case it matters: Tractor=3520h, Backhoe=BH76).

Funny you mention the bounce! I've got a new Branson 3725 and subframe BH. Really hard when manipulating the boom not to get bounce. Not only gradual movement but also very little input is needed. I was wondering if there isn't some sort of hydraulic valve adjustment that can be done?
Maybe I'll get the hang of it but it is touchy!

/ Use top link with subframe backhoe BH76? #4  
Interesting. I have the same exact setup as the OP does. Makes me want to contact Dave’s Tractor (where I got my Branson) to see what he says.

/ Use top link with subframe backhoe BH76?
Funny you mention the bounce! I've got a new Branson 3725 and subframe BH. Really hard when manipulating the boom not to get bounce. Not only gradual movement but also very little input is needed. I was wondering if there isn't some sort of hydraulic valve adjustment that can be done?
Maybe I'll get the hang of it but it is touchy!

No kidding it's really touchy! First couple times I used it I almost got tossed off of the seat. I'm learning to be really gentle with that stick!

/ Use top link with subframe backhoe BH76?
Interesting. I have the same exact setup as the OP does. Makes me want to contact Dave’s Tractor (where I got my Branson) to see what he says.

Let us know what they say!

/ Use top link with subframe backhoe BH76? #7  
My 2016 4520R has pins for the lower where the backhoe subframe (and lower end of the three point arms) attach. I can't imagine having to fiddle with bolts to swap out my hoe for the three points! It's difficult enough now. I'll try to snag a picture later. I'd be very interested in a picture of your lower hoe mounts.

Also, while I have never used the top link with the hoe on (didn't even know that was possible), I can understand that the more connection points that the hoe has to the tractor, the better. I've gotten pretty good at controlling the bounce but I'm still not perfect.

/ Use top link with subframe backhoe BH76? #8  
My kioti 2485BH is held in place with only two pins, they look to be 3/4 inch ish. They have never bent and I don't baby it.
I tried to get an answer about using the top link with a sub frame mount but I got nothing and it doesn't look practical to me so I haven't used it in five years of having it. If the machine is supported properly with the outriggers and the FEL it is rock solid.