US Completing Chemical Weapons Destruction

/ US Completing Chemical Weapons Destruction #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I just read in a NY Times Article that the US was completing the destruction of the last of it's chemical weapons. NY Times Article

I did some work at the Johnston Atoll Chemical Agent Disposal System back in the early 90's. JACADS I worked for the contractor that tested the incinerator stack emissions and we'd make 1- 2 trips a year when a new munition type was being processed. It was an awesome job, like going to summer camp for a few weeks each year.

Johnston Atoll actually has a pretty cool history. Serving as the base for the Bikini Island nuclear tests. I saw the US goverment had completely decommissioned the base and had it listed for sale a number of years ago. Johnston Atoll

I have great memories of those days and being part of that history.

/ US Completing Chemical Weapons Destruction #2  
I just read in a NY Times Article that the US was completing the destruction of the last of it's chemical weapons. NY Times Article

I did some work at the Johnston Atoll Chemical Agent Disposal System back in the early 90's. JACADS I worked for the contractor that tested the incinerator stack emissions and we'd make 1- 2 trips a year when a new munition type was being processed. It was an awesome job, like going to summer camp for a few weeks each year.

Johnston Atoll actually has a pretty cool history. Serving as the base for the Bikini Island nuclear tests. I saw the US goverment had completely decommissioned the base and had it listed for sale a number of years ago. Johnston Atoll

I have great memories of those days and being part of that history.
Did you happen to work with a guy with the name "English"? Small world, asking for a friend.

/ US Completing Chemical Weapons Destruction #3  
I had thought people were not supposed to visit Johnston without government permission so it is surprising they tried to sell the atoll. Not sure who would really want it. 😁 It is a place I would like to visit along with Midway, Wake, Iwo Jima and Palmyra islands/atolls.

/ US Completing Chemical Weapons Destruction #4  
I had thought people were not supposed to visit Johnston without government permission so it is surprising they tried to sell the atoll. Not sure who would really want it. 😁 It is a place I would like to visit along with Midway, Wake, Iwo Jima and Palmyra islands/atolls.
:unsure: I thought the status of weapons is classified so it's surprising they are being so freely talked about and published for the world to see.

/ US Completing Chemical Weapons Destruction #5  
:unsure: I thought the status of weapons is classified so it's surprising they are being so freely talked about and published for the world to see.
Sleight of hand? We watch the right hand while the left hand does, (?)

/ US Completing Chemical Weapons Destruction #6  
I think that is true for nukes but chemical weapons were disposed of due to international agreement and the weapons were so old continuing to store them was dangerous. The chemical weapons had to be safely disposed of, and in spite of all of the gloom and doomers, it was done without mass mayhem. :)

/ US Completing Chemical Weapons Destruction
I think that is true for nukes but chemical weapons were disposed of due to international agreement and the weapons were so old continuing to store them was dangerous. The chemical weapons had to be safely disposed of, and in spite of all of the gloom and doomers, it was done without mass mayhem. :)
To reiterate on the destruction gloom and doomers. Unlike other chemicals like DDT and Agent Orange that were dumped at sea in their active state. The chemical weapons were originally neutralized and then dumped deep at sea. Which actually isn't an issue because they're inert and basically harmless brine, like the ocean itself. The effort to neutralize and dump all the stored weapons could have been done quickly at minimal cost.

However, due to the environmental movement in this country and perceived optics of dumping in the ocean, a more formal and elaborate neutralizing and incineration process was devised and approved at an expected cost of $1.4 Billion. The actual costs? Over $42 BILLION!!!!!

Our government and tax dollars at their very finest! 😲

/ US Completing Chemical Weapons Destruction #8  
Nothing wastes more money then the government. I wouldn't be surprised if most of that money went to friends and family that somehow became involved in it without any real reason or purpose for their involvement.