upgrade swisher rough cut to std rotary cutter??

/ upgrade swisher rough cut to std rotary cutter?? #1  

tmcj

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL
Years ago before I had my tractor, I bought a Swisher rough cut mower to pull behind my ATV to maintain areas of our family's properties. It is mostly used for the typical high grass, weeds, briars, and occasional saplings etc. It is 44" with a 12.5hp Briggs engine. It has done the job for several years and I'm sure would last for several years to come. But now that I have my tractor (Mahindra Max 26xl) I'm really leaning towards getting a standard rotary cutter to use with it instead. The past 2 years I just pulled the Swisher behind the tractor, but it feels like a redneck rig rather than a tractor with an implement, lol. I guess I need some input to justify the cost for a new rotary cutter when I already have a tool that does the job just fine. I'm looking at a standard duty 60". Besides gaining 16", not having to fuel a secondary engine, and just plain feeling more like a proper rig, is there really any advantage to the upgrade?

Before it is suggested, I really don't want to sell the Swisher to offset the cost for a rotary cutter. There are several walking trails that I maintain for hiking and hunting that the tractor with a rotary cutter would be too big for, and the 4 wheeler and Swisher mower work well for.

/ upgrade swisher rough cut to std rotary cutter?? #2  
You can get a decent 5-foot cutter for 500 bucks. That's a pretty small spend, and it's the right tool for the job. Also should be much more reliable / tough. Save the swisher for the small trails.

/ upgrade swisher rough cut to std rotary cutter??
$500?? That has to be the well used price. The cheapest I've seen any around here new were $1100. I've seen them online $975 and up +shipping, which would end up the same or more. I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy one and keep the Swisher.

/ upgrade swisher rough cut to std rotary cutter?? #4  
They work very well and you will save some fuel. I would get one. Watch auctions and you can get one for a reasonable price. Mostly around us $500 will get you a nice used one with tons of life left in it.

/ upgrade swisher rough cut to std rotary cutter?? #5  
I was in the same situation as you. Although my swisher works fine, i never thought about buying my tractor without a rotary cutter. One of the reasons I was eager to ditch the Swisher was when things got rough, I was often replacing or resetting the belt. That got old real quick. Also, love that I can go through thicker brush without getting bogged down. Also, my new cutter was a wider foot print which saves time. I might keep the Swisher for tighter areas and trails.

/ upgrade swisher rough cut to std rotary cutter??
When I bought my tractor I got the front end loader, backhoe, midmount mower, and 7' rear blade. I couldn't really spring for the cutter at the same time, especially since I already had the Swisher to use, but I've wanted one for a long time. I almost bought a used pull behind for the Farmall M years ago, but that set up is just way to big for most of the places I want to maintain. So the Swisher did the job instead. Now that I have a compact tractor it has become a "want" again, and still not necessarily a "need". I'm finally in a position to spend the money on one so I'm very tempted. The wider foot print, stronger driveline from the PTO, and eliminating a second engine does sound great. It's sounding more and more like it is the way to go. I guess I just needed a little more reasoning and support for when I argue with the wife about why I "need" to upgrade, lol.

/ upgrade swisher rough cut to std rotary cutter?? #7  
I picked up a 5 foot lightweight Bushhog a couple years ago from a Kubota dealer for $300. Lots of them on CL for $500 or less Mine probably needs blades but I've ground them down a couple times and it mows just fine for me Sounds like my property and use is similar.