Upfit or trade?

/ Upfit or trade? #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
I have a 1972 444 that I have been using only for blowing snow.

I stopped using it just short of two years ago because it needed some work and I decided it wasn't worth the effort to fix it.

More details on this other thread I posted about a possible replacement.

In addition to the repairs needed (not great, maybe $500 in parts) the two other main issues were:

• Lack of power. The old 14hp still runs pretty strong, but blowing 48" width of snow quickly becomes a challenge. You might note from my profile that I live in Vermont, so 1-2' is not uncommon. While it WILL blow up to the top of the (what is it, 16"?) snowgaurd, you end up having to go very slow. This, in combination with the next issue can make it very unpleasant to use.
  • Lack of throwing distance. I have a 40' wide garage that sits next to and just behind our house, so all the snow from the parking area in front of the garage has to go to one side. This means that with the single stage blower, almost half of the space is getting doubled up on. Also, at the end of the drive where the road snow gets dumped it's hard to blow the snow far enough away from the road, so we end up with huge piles at the corners such that even in a 3/4 ton pickup you can have a hard time seeing oncoming traffic leaving the driveway before winter is over.

I actually bought a new Ariens Professional 32 to replace it beginning of '15-16 season, seeing all I use it for is blowing snow and just couldn't justify anything else at the time. However, after most of a season (didn't really use it the first year due to record low snowfall) I've decided that a walk behind is not for me.

So I am now in the market for something else, and have primarily considered SCUT/CUTs of 25-30hp. I have been very interested in a 10 year old Steiner 430 Max and found this forum and made the before referenced post as a result of doing research on it.

However, after perusing this Case sub-forum I am re-thinking. Maybe I should just re-power my Case to an 18-20hp twin and fix the other relatively minor issues on it. It would still be a single stage, but if I had the power it would be less of an issue. I'm thinking that even if I spent half the money I'm looking at replacing it for ($8-10k) I'd still have a far more workable situation than I currently have, and would probably be satisfied with it.

Thoughts?

/ Upfit or trade?
Anyone familiar with Jim's Repair and/or used one of his repower kits?

Case Garden Tractor - Repower - Ingersoll

What I'm looking at are these options so far:

• 1 - Upgrade 444 to 23hp (and do other required repairs) $3000-3500
  • 2 - Add Berco 2-stage +$2500 = $5500-6000
  • 3 - Get the Steiner 27-30hp with slightly wider blower (+6"), with just over 1000 hrs (versus brand new engine/blower and "indestructible" Case drivetrain) = $7-8,000 depending on negotiating skills.
  • 4 - Get a SCUT/CUT with front mounted blower for $8-10,000(?)
  • 5 - Get a somewhat modern (say 10-20 year old) garden tractor of 18-20hp with 2-stage blower = $2-3000(?)

Frankly, if option 5 were real and presented itself (I have found a few CL listings that appear to fit the bill; whether they're real or not remains to be seen) I would be very tempted to go that route at this point. Sentimental feelings be dam*ed.

edit: with Options 3,4 & 5 I would have my Case still to sell, and re-coup $1500(??) or so.

/ Upfit or trade? #3  
   / Upfit or trade?
Related, it seems that some people want to make a big deal about the fact that the Case is HYDRAULIC rather than HYDROSTATIC. What is the difference?

/ Upfit or trade?
Please keep this thread updated with what you do.

Well I've decided NOT to fix the old Case.

At this point I'm 99% certain I'll be selecting Option 4.

I found a local 2008 MF GC2400 with front mount snowblower. It really ticks all the right boxes other than not having a cab (I will plan to do something about that). It's exactly in the middle of my anticipated price range at $9k, and even includes a belly mower (while I don't anticipate using it, it will add value if/when I decide to sell).

Unless I wake up in the morning with a different opinion I'll be calling the guy tomorrow and then will head to the bank on Monday to get the dough. I do need to scrounge up a trailer, as there's no way I'm fitting that in the back of my mid-box 1/2 ton Ram...

/ Upfit or trade?
Well, after researching and considering the Cab situation*, I passed on that one.

Instead, I purchased a 2006 GC2300 with 600 hours, front snowblower and Curtis cab for $6200. Needs a little TLC, but mostly cosmetic. The only obvious mechanical was that the Diff Lock did not return to Off without a bit of finagling. I'm guessing it just needs a new return spring.

*I have not found any reasonably priced, decent quality cab availability. The Original Cab Company seemed a possible source, but they said their cab wouldn't fit a 2300/2400. Curtis, if they will even still make a cab that fits a 2300/2400 will likely want $4-5000 (I was quoted $4745 for a soft side with heat for a BX series Kubota, which is the same size tractor).

/ Upfit or trade? #9  
Well I've decided NOT to fix the old Case.

Are you going to sell it and make a Case collector happy?

/ Upfit or trade?
That's the plan. Do you know someone? I'd love to know that someone was going to just use it, or restore it to its former glory.

The tractor itself is in reasonably good mechanical shape. Has a slow hydraulic leak somewhere (in the lines to the cooler, I think). It's mostly the snowblower that needed fixing, the tractor was just short on HP for the job being asked of it.