Update on the WC46

/ Update on the WC46 #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Dried up enough finally to get the tractor out do a little bit of chipping up around the house. Won't be dry enough to go down the back hill until about Friday.

Backing off 1/4 turn from the 1/2 turn that was too stiff on the control arm control adjustment via the 6 mm allen screw below the hydraulic works is about right: so, 1/4 turn tighter than then factory setting. Otherwise, the control arm too easily vibrated to neutral, particularly on a downslope when the weight of the arm helped to put it into neutral.

Had my first stoppage. It was the last branch/log; so, I went back to the carriage house and lifted the inlet chute for better accesss to it. The wife worked with a crowbar while I started it up with the roller in reverse. That got it out.

With this chipper, one doesn't get covered in chips like with the Mac. Also don't get enough dust to cause ones nose to show dirt on first blow either.

Ralph

/ Update on the WC46 #2  
Did the shear pin break? What size is it?

I just bought the WC68. I am debating what size shear pin to use with my little 23.5 hp tractor.

/ Update on the WC46
No. Didn't stop the unit. Just stopped feeding the log.

/ Update on the WC46 #4  
Did the shear pin break? What size is it?

I just bought the WC68. I am debating what size shear pin to use with my little 23.5 hp tractor.
I just bought the WC68 also. It came with 2 extra shear bolts. Size is 5/16" x 2" partially threaded grade 5 with lock nut.
I have about 6 hrs. On mine, jammed it once, didn't shear the bolt (33 Pto hp)
In my limited experience the jam usually happens at the infeed roller and that is driven by hydraulic motor so most of the stress is not on the PTO shaft or flywheel.

/ Update on the WC46 #5  
Mine isn't fully assembled yet, how do you un-jamb a jammed infeed roller?

/ Update on the WC46 #6  
Usually by just reversing the infeed hydraulics....as I recall.

/ Update on the WC46
Just reversing the roller didn't do it. It was a partly decayed log and a bit soft on the outside.

Combo of the wife's using crowbar and my doing reverse worked after a couple tries.

Opened the chute up first.

/ Update on the WC46
Had another stoppage that would not reverse. Wife went up the hill and got a crowbar. Used the crowbar this time to lift the roller. Then could slide the log out.

Was another log that was kinda rotten around the outside. Cedar, in particular, can be this way but with good wood inside.

Will carry the crowbar in the bucket now. Also carrying one of the B&D chain saws and the crowbar in the bucket along with the wife's Stihl that she uses to supply me with wood chipping material. Occasionally need a chain saw to cut off a bigger side branch that won't break or bend when being drawn down the chute.

Ralph

/ Update on the WC46 #9  
By not reversing, you mean the roller reversed but the log stayed put with the roller rubbing against it, or the roller didn't turn because the pressure safety valve pushed fluid through it instead of the roller motor?