Unpleasant surprise at 50-hour maintenance

/ Unpleasant surprise at 50-hour maintenance #1  

LostInTheWoods

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Completed 50-hour maintenance (46.2 hours, actually) today...

While checking over the tractor (BX 2660), I see two bolts protruding from the front axle case. One on each side. The one on the left is sticking out about 1/2 inch, the one on the right is out a solid inch.

No problem, I'll just tighten them up. Takes a little elbow grease, but the one on the left goes back in OK. I get the one on the right about two-thirds of the way back in, and the bolt breaks (shears?). Like I said, it took some effort, but I wasn't trying to force it to keep turning after meeting too much resistance. I was turning by hand (no powered equipment).

Did I do something wrong, or is this an engineering problem? :confused: Is this something that was missed at the factory/dealer, or do bolts on axle cases typically work their way out after 40-50 hours? And now that I have this bolt more-or-less stuck, is this a warranty repair?

Many thanks,

Lost

/ Unpleasant surprise at 50-hour maintenance #2  
Can you post pics of what bolts you are speaking of?

/ Unpleasant surprise at 50-hour maintenance #3  
Could they have been the steering stops?

E/S

/ Unpleasant surprise at 50-hour maintenance #4  
Completed 50-hour maintenance (46.2 hours, actually) today...

While checking over the tractor (BX 2660), I see two bolts protruding from the front axle case. One on each side. The one on the left is sticking out about 1/2 inch, the one on the right is out a solid inch.

No problem, I'll just tighten them up. Takes a little elbow grease, but the one on the left goes back in OK. I get the one on the right about two-thirds of the way back in, and the bolt breaks (shears?). Like I said, it took some effort, but I wasn't trying to force it to keep turning after meeting too much resistance. I was turning by hand (no powered equipment).

Did I do something wrong, or is this an engineering problem? :confused: Is this something that was missed at the factory/dealer, or do bolts on axle cases typically work their way out after 40-50 hours? And now that I have this bolt more-or-less stuck, is this a warranty repair?

Many thanks,

Lost
warranty

/ Unpleasant surprise at 50-hour maintenance
Could they have been the steering stops?

E/S

Um, yeah, apparently they could. :eek: I happened to be able to talk to someone that, unlike me, is actually pretty handy with tractors and all things mechanical. While he wasn't able to actually look at the tractor, he couldn't really think anything else was more likely.

When I saw those bolts sticking out, especially since one was out quite a bit farther than the other...first thing I thought was "tighten those up before your axle fluid ends up all over the place".

What I should have thought was "you know, maybe I ought'a ask someone about this".

Well, hopefully someone else might benefit from my overeagerness. :ashamed:

/ Unpleasant surprise at 50-hour maintenance
Still not sure why one bolt would snap like that, though...

/ Unpleasant surprise at 50-hour maintenance #7  
Well, it depends on the design of the bolt and the threaded hole. Did they have jam nuts on them?

I can imagine a cost cutting measure where the hole was threaded slightly undersize (there are thread specs for this) to lock the bolt and prevent it loosening, so it would keep its adjustment for a long time. I have always considered a jam nut a superior way to do this, but who knows?

Anyway, depending on the design of the bolt it may not be too hard to extract the shaft. I once snapped off the bolt in a circular saw when I had a brain fart and tried to remove it in the wrong direction. A bigger wrench sheared off the head, but the shaft was loose enough in the threads that I could back it out easily. If the tip of the bolt bottomed in the hole, instead of the threads seizing, extracting it could be no big deal.

Hand tools vs. powered tools doesn't make a very big difference, the issue is the torque on the bolt head vs. the design value. Now, I can break things faster with an air wrench, but I can still break them by hand.

/ Unpleasant surprise at 50-hour maintenance #8  
Some times using a left hand (twist) drill will back the bolts out.The combination of the heat from drilling and rotation trying to loosen them will work.

Roy

/ Unpleasant surprise at 50-hour maintenance #9  
I bought a set of Screw Extractor Bits from Sears. I think around $9.99 or $19.99. Lowe's has them also. I believe there or 3 or 4 sizes in the case. They work fantastic on screws. They have a reverse grip so with drill in reverse the threads are gripping tighter as you drill. One time use for me was worth the price. You can also try and drill the center out of the bolt (good luck) starting with a small bit and increasing in size but to me that's the last resort.
Forget the above of part of it.:) Went to Lowe's website before posting this and they have them in individual packages in different sizes for around $3.00. I'd for sure try one of these first.
Shop screw extractor bits at Lowes.com

/ Unpleasant surprise at 50-hour maintenance #10  
No offence, but did you ever think of having a look at your owners manual? If your not sure about sometning, that manual can usually tell you?