Unloading heavy, unpowered equipment from trailer.

/ Unloading heavy, unpowered equipment from trailer. #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I'm thinking about purchasing a pull scraper/dirt pan and have been thinking about logistics. I've talked with a couple of guys who have one for sale, and they both said loading it would be no problem in that they have excavators and could simply set it on my trailer.

The question I have is about getting it off at my place. How do I set it, so that I am able to remove it with only my 5100e, an FEL, and gravity?

Weight is approximately 4200-4500lbs deadweight. My FEL has lift capabilities of around 3800lbs at pin at full height. I suspect most of my lifting, even just to barely get it off the trailer, would be approximately full height. So I'm not sure either of enough height nor of enough capacity to just lift it with brute strength.

I've thought of building an A-frame between the bucket and a telephone pole, with the pole one the opposite side of the trailer as one leg, leaning and connecting towards the FEL on the other side as the other leg. If I chained it tight to the fulcrum, I don't know whether the bucket tilt hydraulics in conjunction with the pole, could lift it enough to drive the trailer out.

I've also thought the best way might merely be to have it set tongue to the back, allowing me to back the tractor onto the trailer, hook up, and drive it off. This might be the best overall way, but I don't want to assume and be stuck.

Any thoughts?

image.jpeg

/ Unloading heavy, unpowered equipment from trailer. #2  
Not knowing what type of trailer you have I'll assume it is a dual axle flatbed with ramps. If that's the case I would have the scraper facing to the back of the trailer and use forks or bucket modified with a receiver hitch to attach and slowly pull off with you tractor.

Here's a link to easy bolt on choices .......... Trailer Moving - Quick Attach Attachments - Tractor Attachments .

Last edited:
   / Unloading heavy, unpowered equipment from trailer. #3  
Not knowing what type of trailer you have I'll assume it is a dual axle flatbed with ramps. If that's the case I would have the scraper facing to the back of the trailer and use forks or bucket modified with a receiver hitch to attach and slowly pull off with you tractor.

Here's a link to easy bolt on choices .......... Trailer Moving - Quick Attach Attachments - Tractor Attachments .

+1. And if the bottom of the equip is not smooth- will catch on the trailer, lay down some plywood first. Another option is to back the trailer up to a good sized tree, tractor, etc., chain the two together and slowly drive fwd.

/ Unloading heavy, unpowered equipment from trailer. #4  
If that won't work my neighbor and I have unloaded heavy stuff with our tractors together. One on each side of the trailer lifting with my 31HP and his 35HP then drive the trailer out from underneath.

/ Unloading heavy, unpowered equipment from trailer. #5  
I would load that unit with tongue to the rear for tongue weight on the trailer for better control towing then just back tractor up to it to unload.

/ Unloading heavy, unpowered equipment from trailer. #6  
I agree, just tow it off with the tractor once you get home... a tow bar on the 3ph would allow some extra hight if clearance was needed to clear during off-loading, or as mentioned earlier, the loader towing it off... I'm sure you can figure out something.

/ Unloading heavy, unpowered equipment from trailer. #7  
If that won't work my neighbor and I have unloaded heavy stuff with our tractors together. One on each side of the trailer lifting with my 31HP and his 35HP then drive the trailer out from underneath.

That's how we unloaded a 14-ft wide wheel disc that I bought from my tractor dealer. It probably weighed 2500 lb. Used a fork lift and my 2008 Mahindra 5525 with FEL with detachable forks capable of lifting 2900 lb.

Wheel disc delivery-1.JPGWheel disc delivery-2.JPG

Good luck

/ Unloading heavy, unpowered equipment from trailer. #8  
Is it too wide to have a rollback deliver it to you?

/ Unloading heavy, unpowered equipment from trailer. #9  
If it was me, I'd load the scraper onto some 2x4's on the flat to act as skids. Then back up the trailer to where you kind of want the scraper to be, hook a chain to it and pull it off with the tractor and let it fall on the ground. I've also hooked the chain to a tree and driven forward with box blade that I couldn't pick up at the time, and it slid off the back of the trailer as I drove away. Then I hooked it up to the 3 point hitch and went to work.

/ Unloading heavy, unpowered equipment from trailer. #10  
How far away is it? Depending on distance, check the tires and see what speed they're rated for, you may be better off pulling it home at 15-25mph (I would imagine they are rated in that range) over the time and effort in hooking up the trailer, loading and unloading. If you're using it for personal/farm stuff, throw an SMV sign on it and chances are nobody will really mess with you. Just a thought.

Kyle