Universal Joint disassembly

/ Universal Joint disassembly #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
I need help on disassembling a universal joint. I tried a treat on Bolens site but need additional help, The yoke has sheared on the main drive shaft which connects the Onan engine to the HydroStat rear axle tranny. It has 2 universal and the one most proximal to the engine has sheared a yoke. A neighbor/ small engine mechanic says that there is a spring clip holding the cup. I have cleaned and scraped but can not find any sign that there is a spring clip. How is this joint held together and how do I dis assemble it to replace the broken yoke? Please refer to my other post under Docrocky. I am including as many pictures of the mechanism that i can.

Attachments

• IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    830.2 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    987.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    953.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    737.7 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    778.1 KB · Views: 201
   / Universal Joint disassembly #2  
The way I do some universals that can't be easily taken apart is with a 4 1/2" grinder and a thin cut off wheel. I position the joint so I can get on the universal and then cut it at diagonally making an X. Some require you to cut from both sides. That way you can separate the two yokes. You need to be careful not to hit either yoke. Not sure if you have the room but if you can then you can get the shaft on a bench where it should be easier to get apart.

By the looks of your joint I'm not sure if it was made to be replaced. It looks like the cups are pressed into pressed then crimped.

/ Universal Joint disassembly #3  
G'day mate sorry to tell you but that is a throwaway unit no way of replacing the uni in that one.

You will prob find if you can buy a yoke and joint kit you will have just about bought the assy.

Jon

/ Universal Joint disassembly #4  
Some u-joint designs have the c-clips on the inside of the yoke. Some have the u-joint cups epoxied in at the factory. I had a Lincoln like this; it took a hydraulic press to get the bearing cups out.

/ Universal Joint disassembly #5  
If you can get it apart then you should be able to get an auto parts store to measure it up and use a cross reference chart to find something that can work. You might find a used assembly on ebay.

/ Universal Joint disassembly #6  
I generally like to use my vice and some sockets. Large socket on one side and a smaller than the cross on the other. Closing vice jaws pushes the cross out into the larger on the far side.
Naturally any cir-clips need to be removed B4.
While the cross will be hardened steel the yokes are generally not so heat can be used to free things up.
To install new crosses the vice also is used as a press.
I always try to avoid hammering in a new cross as the cross and cups are hardened and brittle.
Smear grease on the rollers in order to not lose any while inserting the cross into the cups..
Good luck.

/ Universal Joint disassembly #7  
G'day guys all good suggestions but if you look at the pics then there is no room for the cross to move sideways to push the cups out:mad:.

These type of uni joints are non repairable. Have you been onto Bolens to see if that yoke and uni is available? I doubt that they are available separately and you will only be able to buy it as a unit.

Your other option is to see if you can find a yoke assy that will fit your machine and get it welded onto your shaft.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Jon

/ Universal Joint disassembly #8  
Check with a local truck parts repair shop. they could most likely build you one or have a way to fix yours. I use associated truck parts and they build drive shafts. I needed u joints for the steering system on my IH 424 and they had everything I needed. just a thought.

/ Universal Joint disassembly #9  
I generally like to use my vice and some sockets. Large socket on one side and a smaller than the cross on the other. Closing vice jaws pushes the cross out into the larger on the far side.
Naturally any cir-clips need to be removed B4.
While the cross will be hardened steel the yokes are generally not so heat can be used to free things up.
To install new crosses the vice also is used as a press.
I always try to avoid hammering in a new cross as the cross and cups are hardened and brittle.
Smear grease on the rollers in order to not lose any while inserting the cross into the cups..
Good luck.
I broke a good vise (my fathers) doing it that way when I was younger, found out early on vises ain't made to be presses

/ Universal Joint disassembly #10  
The way I do some universals that can't be easily taken apart is with a 4 1/2" grinder and a thin cut off wheel. I position the joint so I can get on the universal and then cut it at diagonally making an X. Some require you to cut from both sides. That way you can separate the two yokes. You need to be careful not to hit either yoke. Not sure if you have the room but if you can then you can get the shaft on a bench where it should be easier to get apart.

By the looks of your joint I'm not sure if it was made to be replaced. It looks like the cups are pressed into pressed then crimped.

Never thought of a cutoff wheel as a ujoint tool but I can see how that would work.