Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #271  
CDL Exemptions

The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license:

Farmers transporting farm supplies or farm machinery, or transporting agricultural products to or from the first place of storage or processing or directly to or from market, within 150 miles of their farm; or

Drivers who operate straight trucks (single units) that are exclusively transporting their own tangible personal property which is not for sale.

Anyone know what exactly that last item is really talking about? Uhaul truck with car trailer?
I have proved repeatedly that I don’t know what happens in other states but the last line reads:

A truck without a trailer not hauling stuff for someone else or for sale. I got in to a similar conversation with a CO DOT person regarding if I need a CDL to haul my cattle to auction regardless of the 150 miles. He couldn’t answer…

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements
Well, I took @Hay Dude 's advice and bought a Ram 2500 with a Cummins diesel and 10k GVWR. I'm really happy with it so far. Now to find a 15.999k gooseneck to haul the soon to be excavator.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #273  
Well, I took @Hay Dude 's advice and bought a Ram 2500 with a Cummins diesel and 10k GVWR. I'm really happy with it so far. Now to find a 15.999k gooseneck to haul the soon to be excavator.
Damn you are smart, and I am jealous!

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #274  
Was just talking to a directional drilling contractor today, and this same topic came up. He said he can have same set up one day and get scaled, and 100% good, and next, he's over on an axle; or one officer counts his 2600 gallon tank as needing tanker endorsement even when dry/empty; next officer disagrees. Basically said it's highway robbery, paying the fines; and even trying to stay legal; they can and will find something if they want.

Don't know if that part of the highway patrol has "documented public interactions" required or not.

Had a regular FHP officer doing traffic control on a job, and since we were paying him, we could give him a bit of crap. Asked about his "quota" and ge said No, no quotas, just a min of 6 documented public interactions per shift. Of coarse we asked what a "documented public interaction" was; and he said a ticket or written warning. Lol; so no quota; just write 6 tickets per shift....

A new wrinkle. Took my "new" truck to get the tags today. It's a 10k truck. They registered it as a 16k truck. When I asked about it, the tag lady said "we only have 9k then 16k so since your truck is above 9k, it has to be registered at 16k."

I suspect this is going to be a problem for me when I am pulling a 16k trailer...thoughts?

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #276  
I'd look up TN reg's to see if the rules apply to "weight ratings" or "registered weight". There is a lot of confusion in the language used. It seems like contract lawyers are the ones who write these regulations, yet the common man has to abide by and enforce them.

My research indicates that the registration class is just a tax thing. I’m planning to do what I was planning to do and not worry about it. If I get fined, I’ll go to court.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #278  
My research indicates that the registration class is just a tax thing. I’m planning to do what I was planning to do and not worry about it. If I get fined, I’ll go to court.
I think it should be ok; the tax rating doesn't change the GVWR or GCWR of the truck, which is the thing that the police should care about.
Should.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #279  
And you can go to 26k without issue. So a 16k trailer is fine. CDL is 26001..

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #280  
@screamin400 that seems like a big mistake for someone who just studied and tested on this topic.
LD1 is correct, and NYS law appears to be consistent with most other states cited in this thread.
From New York's website:
View attachment 794050
That is possible I suppose. I know of no one pulling a 10000 gvw trailer in my line of work. I am pulling a 25k trailer.