underground fence

/ underground fence #1  

cj7

Gold Member
Tractor
L2500
Has anyone made an attachment for installing an underground dog fence? I need something to use on a FEL or 3pt or whatever. Looking for ideas and pictures. I was thinking that something could be made to bolt into the drain holes on my woods bucket.

/ underground fence #2  
There was a post in the Projects forum this week about a homemade cable plow attachment used to bury wire. I do not see why this would not work for burying the invisible fence wire too. If you do a search for cable plow you should be able to find it.

/ underground fence #3  
My mold board has a guage wheel on it. I used mine with the wheel set to the lowest position to do exactly that. Plow, lay down the cable, and flop the turf back in place. After two days you couldn't tell.

/ underground fence #4  
cj7,

I used a middlebuster (potato plow) to install our underground fencing. Worked like a charm.

We installed about 1200' of wire for our fencing. At first, I tried to use an edger and it was just too darn slow. The thought of using a shovel was just very, very unattractive.

So, I figured what the heck - let's try the middlebuster. I had about 900' of trench done in less than an hour. Since you only have to go down a few inches (4-6 inches), you set your depth control on your rocker shaft and go. Occasionally, you need to reset the depth depending on the terrain. But, for the most part it's very easy. We still had to hand dig in a couple of places due to the terrain, but that should be expected. The middle buster flips the soil and grass over for the most part. So all you need to do is lay down the wire and fold the displaced soil and grass over the trench and wire.

Hope this helps.

Terry

/ underground fence #5  
We had our underground "invisible fence" professionally installed about seven years ago. The guy used a walk behind machine that cut a very narrow, 5-6 inch deep trench, and then layed the wire in it all in one continous operation. He layed about 800 ft. of it in less than an hour. Could hardly tell where he had put it. If I ever have to do it myself, I would sure try and rent one of those machines if at all possible. BTW, the fence has worked great with our GSD.

/ underground fence #6  
Best thing for laying wire/cable with a tractor is a subsoiler - looks like a very narrow plow - most are 3-4 inches wide, and when mounted to the 3pt. can be adjusted to whatever depth you require, up to ~ 14 inches on my unit (I have no idea how far below the surface a dog containment system must be - probably not too far - low voltage). They are cheap, and in my region there's a lot of used ones. Anyhow, feed the cable into the narrow trench (just run the spool along the trench and push the wire through the loosened soil into the depth - some have a hollow tube on the back of the subsoiler to feed cable - see prior posts), then drive the length of the trench, with a rear wheel over the trench - no more trench, wire is buried, and the depression is minor. Now, if you need to run larger pipes, etc., then it gets complicated - potato plow, trencher, etc - if you need to bury something over 14" deep, as in water pipes up North, then it really really gets difficult without a trencher, backhoe or whatever.