U-groove track wheel for bandsaw mill,

/ U-groove track wheel for bandsaw mill, #1  

MadJack

Silver Member
Tractor
86 Ford 2110 4x4
I'm looking to replace 1 (for now) 3 1/2" x 3/4" cast iron wheel on my old Northlander mill. The center hole in the wheel is 3/4" (19mm) and a rod bearing gets pressed in. The U-Groove rides on the edge of a 1/4" angle iron, unlike the v-groove which rides along the back of angle iron.

In searching for something binding up while sawing, I discovered the rod bearings in one wheel were spent, the wheel tilting and binding on the frame.

[I borrowed this 25 year old mill two years ago, rebuilt the 13hp Honda, replaced bearings, welded some broken things, and built a roof over it. Current owner decide to leave it here since I am the only one to care for HIS Mill. It rarely saw grease, care, or any maintenance from previous loanee's]

So, I fought to get the wheel and what's left of the bearing(s) separated from the frame for 5 hours... had no idea how it was assembled. On coffee breaks, I searched the web for a match with zero luck finding a match.

Does anyone have a source that won't lead me to panty hose and Hot Wheel cars?
Thanks.

/ U-groove track wheel for bandsaw mill,
Or maybe just the bearing(s) and bolt?

Attachments

• IMG_2024-01-02-16-15-58-315.jpg
    IMG_2024-01-02-16-15-58-315.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2024-01-02-16-14-47-612.jpg
    IMG_2024-01-02-16-14-47-612.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2024-01-02-14-32-23-011.jpg
    IMG_2024-01-02-14-32-23-011.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
   / U-groove track wheel for bandsaw mill, #3  
Sure looks like a modified v-belt pulley to me. Just match up the groove dimensions to the standard belt size. You may be able to find an idler pulley with the bearing already attached. Otherwise find one with the correct ID for a reasonable size bearing or get one with a partially finished hub and bore it to size.

Search for cast iron v-belt idler pulley

Last edited:
   / U-groove track wheel for bandsaw mill, #4  
Is the original wheel damaged beyond repair? Or is it just bad bearings that can be pressed out and replaced? Perhaps look for a local bearing retailer.

Do you have a lathe? Or perhaps Santa just forgot to bring one. :p

I'm thinking that it wouldn't be a big project to build it if you can find the 3 1/2" discs or rod to start with.

/ U-groove track wheel for bandsaw mill, #5  
Take some accurate measurement of your wheel and contact sawmill manufacturers. Maybe they can match it up.

/ U-groove track wheel for bandsaw mill, #6  
Search for "V grove wheel". You may need to change all of them to a different size.

I used larger ones on my sawmill build.

/ U-groove track wheel for bandsaw mill, #7  
Any good machinist could make you one fairly quickly. A lot of hobby guys will do this kind of work for a few dollars + materials.

/ U-groove track wheel for bandsaw mill,
Is the original wheel damaged beyond repair? Or is it just bad bearings that can be pressed out and replaced? Perhaps look for a local bearing retailer.

Do you have a lathe? Or perhaps Santa just forgot to bring one. :p

I'm thinking that it wouldn't be a big project to build it if you can find the 3 1/2" discs or rod to start with.
The caster is usable, but does have a chunk out of one side.
Four hours on line, and four hours in town yesterday, I found just one possible replacement. I'll have it Friday morning for $20. I now know more than one man should ever have to know about sheaves, castors, pulley's, wheels, and rollers! Oh, and friggin bearings selections available are off the charts.
The roller bearing ( 20mm dia x 21mm length x 12mm center hole) is the real ghost, as I thought I might as well replace all four bearings to avoid future issues.

With the replacement tomorrow, I will have time to decide on which direction I'll go replacing all four wheels-bearing-zerk axles after the songbirds and warmer temps return.

Thanks

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT