TYM 3515H vs T474H

/ TYM 3515H vs T474H #1  

arunciks

Tractor
TYM
Hi,
I am trying to buy mid size tractor with loader and backhoe for a small homestead. Mostly I am lookong to use loader to move dirt, mulch, some rocks, tree logs. Backhoe to dig holes for footings, plant trees, landscapping. The size of the property around 2 acres. I like higher tractor clearance since there are areas with rocky terrain. No plans of mowing or farming equipment. I sort of settled with buying TYM 3515h. Once at the dealer, the mention was made that T474 is just a couple thousands more. I did checked it oit and it does seem as a nice tractor, with nicier bling, bling features and larger engine. However, I didn't like use of plastic for some body areas. I am a bit lost - should I got larger tractor or should I just settle with 35HP? In regards of reliability are there cons and pros in 3515 vs 474? Thank you!

/ TYM 3515H vs T474H #2  
Backhoe to dig holes for footings, plant trees, landscapping.

Consider a Bucket Spade on the shorter side of the Bucket Spade spectrum for these minor tasks on two (2) acres. Put out $7,000 less and have your Three Point Hitch always available.

Last edited:
   / TYM 3515H vs T474H #3  
I am a bit lost - should I get a larger heavier tractor or should I just settle with 35HP?

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range. I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise. I have a column for cost per pound.

For two (2) acres a 3,200 pound bare weight tractor should be just right, given your applications.

Last edited:
   / TYM 3515H vs T474H
I am a bit lost - should I got larger tractor or should I just settle with 35HP?

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range. I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise. I have a column for cost per pound.

For two (2) acres 3,200 pounds bare weight should be just right, given your applications.
Thank you Jeff for all the info! It is useful. I have agreed on 3515H with Loader and backhoe for 31.9k, but the dealer said if I change my mind and would like T474H, I have couple days to do so. That would add additional ~2k. However, it seems that everyone suggestting 35HP would be enough.:)

/ TYM 3515H vs T474H
Thank you Jeff for all the info! It is useful. I have agreed on 3515H with Loader and backhoe for 31.9k, but the dealer said if I change my mind and would like T474H, I have couple days to do so. That would add additional ~2k. However, it seems that everyone suggestting 35HP would be enough.:)
I was just wondering if there were any sort of cons with 3515 build and reliability vs 474. Or things that are better on one and not the other. 3515 seem to be older model that was incorporated when tym bought Branson and 474 is newer. However, frame looks very similar on both, loader and lift capacities are similar as well.

/ TYM 3515H vs T474H #6  
Personally I would stay with the 3515. I am happy with my 4815C.