TX1300F What is Compression?/won't start

/ TX1300F What is Compression?/won't start #1  

fpappal

Tractor
John Deere LA, M, H Massey 135,203
Does anyone know what the cylinder compression should be in the KE70 Mitsubishi two cylinder diesel? I am getting 380 lbs and 340 lbs.

Long story short my father used the tractor on Friday for about 20 minutes tilling. The clutch failed while using it so he drove it back to the barn. Now it will not start. Nothing changed other than the clutch failing. Engine turns over and black smoke comes out of stack. It sounds like it wants to start but it won't. It did not run out of fuel, glow plugs are working. Fuel filter is not plugged. What could possibly happen to this machine in the 4 hours it sat after the clutch went? I even tried a little starting fluid and it still would not start. Air filter is currently removed. I cracked each of the injector lines and fuel drips out. Not a lot of fuel but there is fuel. The only thing I can think is that the compression is too low but I am not sure what it is supposed to be. I checked the compression from the glow plug hole.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

/ TX1300F What is Compression?/won't start #2  
Black smoke with a diesel frequently indicates a lack of air. Check your air filter for clogging as well as the passage from their to the engine intake.

/ TX1300F What is Compression?/won't start #3  
I have a service and repair manual lying around. PM your email and i will send you.

I had a quick look (i am far from a mechanic), all i can find is maximum torque (kg/m : rpm) which says 3.5/2300. Does this mean anything?

hth,
M.

/ TX1300F What is Compression?/won't start #4  
I would start with the basics. Engine oil level, cooling water, then say 10 seconds on the glow plugs and try again.

/ TX1300F What is Compression?/won't start
I have a service and repair manual lying around. PM your email and i will send you.

I had a quick look (i am far from a mechanic), all i can find is maximum torque (kg/m : rpm) which says 3.5/2300. Does this mean anything?

hth,
M.
You actually already sent me those a few years ago. Thank you. I was told that 380 is fine for this tractor.

/ TX1300F What is Compression?/won't start #6  
With the clutch not working is there any drag on the engine from transmission or clutch parts?

/ TX1300F What is Compression?/won't start
With the clutch not working is there any drag on the engine from transmission or clutch parts?
That is a great question. I am assuming the throw-out bearing is what failed. I could here it making noises for a while whenever I pushed the clutch down. When I push the clutch down now there is no resistance. I am torn about spending the money on new clutch parts if I also have engine issues. It is too much of a coincidence that the tractors ran fine until the clutch failed. Now it will not start...

/ TX1300F What is Compression?/won't start #8  
That just might be the reason of starting problems.

The engine needs to spin freely to get RPM's.
Clutch, while still somewhat operational might just be adding enough drag to slow it down,

Try another start with clutch totally depressed.
And perhaps glow plug pre heat.