Twine versus net for rounds

/ Twine versus net for rounds #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
I run a NH 450 Twine / net round baler that is all computerized so I can alternate between twine and net anytime. My customer don't care how I wrap them so it don't matter but pricing net (52" over the edge) versus poly RB twine, poly twine wins hands down. Having said that, the twine takes longer to wrap than the net (about 30 seconds per bale more than net).

This year I'm, running twine. Last year I ran net. I can program my baler to wrap the twine in any configuration I want. I find twined bales to be a bit harder to handle in the field versus net but my customer keeps everything under roof any way so spoilage from weather isn't an issue.

What is the consensus of twine versus net for you?

/ Twine versus net for rounds #2  
Twine is cheaper, your customer doesn't care.
My choice would be easy twine all the way.
That said if you ever end up wrapping any bales the net makes a better wrapped bale.

/ Twine versus net for rounds
Like I said, run them both ways. Net is faster and the baler always has a roll of net in the duckbill just in case. I think if I was looking at weather and was running a field, I'd switch to net to get it done but if there is no rush, twine is the way to go. I run the NH mega balls of RB poly, like 25,000 feet in each ball and it's pretty blue too. Mega balls are 29 bucks each and I can get over 200 rounds on 2 of them. 52 over the edge net is 270 bucks a roll and I can get 300 rounds per roll. The cost difference is quite a bit.

Net bales weather much better outside and handle easier in the field when loading but my rounds for my cattle stay in the barn and the rest are sold and the guy who buys them keeps them inside too. Think this is my last year for cattle. I believe I'll disc the feedlot field and put it to hay too. The way the farm climate is today, meat prices are on the rise so thinking about selling all of them.

/ Twine versus net for rounds #4  
If you get to the point where you have more hay to bale in a day than time to do it, net gets pretty cheap.

/ Twine versus net for rounds #5  
Yeah but 30 seconds. 30 WHOLE seconds. I mean like that's an eternity, how could anyone be expected to wait such an incredibly long and arduous time?

My question .... which causes more waste when the bales are to be used? Which is reusable for other purposes?

/ Twine versus net for rounds #6  
My question .... which causes more waste when the bales are to be used? Which is reusable for other purposes? Diggin It

good question. so what becomes of the net after use?

/ Twine versus net for rounds #7  
If you get to the point where you have more hay to bale in a day than time to do it, net gets pretty cheap.

Ditto after baling with net for several yrs I'd charge extra to put twine on a bale!!!!!

Net on a average is 25-30% faster when applying twine to bale when baling. That can mean the difference of getting hay baled before it rains. Anyone care to figure the $$$$$ savings getting hay baled beating a rain vs rained on hay & the hassle of getting hay dry enough to bale? Plus on my JD rd baler utilizing twine sometimes the cut end will catch on crop stalk when bale is ejected causing long dangling twine that when moving bales FEL operator must get off tractor to cut the dangling twine OR wrap this dangling twine around axle shafts. I realize this doesn't apply to 5030's question but if hay is to be stored outside then to me it's a "no brainer" because net wrapped rd bales sheds more water than twine wrapped bales. IMHO net is easier/faster to remove from bales than twine when feeding rd bales. I think under most conditions net wrapped hay will have less waste & both net & twine nee to go in the garbage ALTHOUGH I deliver net rd bales to several local horse owners that never remove the net.

/ Twine versus net for rounds #8  
I've been buying 100 or more bales per year for sometime. My supplier is now using net. I prefer twine. It's easier for me to remove and if I need something to tie a panel to a T post, there it is.

/ Twine versus net for rounds #10  
Yeah but 30 seconds. 30 WHOLE seconds. I mean like that's an eternity, how could anyone be expected to wait such an incredibly long and arduous time?

My question .... which causes more waste when the bales are to be used? Which is reusable for other purposes?

Never baled much hay, have you? It can easily take more time to wrap a round bale with twine than it does to form the bale.
There are instances where the difference is harvesting a useable/saleable crop or not.