Turtle or Rabbit??

/ Turtle or Rabbit?? #1  

r0GuE

Veteran Member
Tractor
ex-Bota Owner
Mowing with a 60 on my BX2200.
Turtle seems too slow. Is rabbit ok if I run the engine at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and I don't go wide open with the accelerator???

Rogue

/ Turtle or Rabbit?? #2  
Rogue,
I have the 60 on my BX and I always use rabbit and the throttle is just under WOT. When I'm cutting I don't travel with the hydro pedal mashed but it's nice to be able to have the speed available for various situations. It's the blade speed that I find gives the best cut (and wow is it a nice cut!). I always try to follow the 1/3 rule when cutting so the grass rarely gets high enough that I would need to use turtle mode.
David

/ Turtle or Rabbit?? #3  
Rogue - you've been engaging the PTO at such a low throttle setting? That could have serious ramifications - you should immediately check all your linkages to ensure no damage has occurred.

Only joking - couldn't resist! I run my BX up to full throttle and then back off some before mowing. On the smooth lawn I run in rabbit range and on the bumpy pasture I run in turtle range. Otherwise the deck tends to clank around a bit.

The belly mount mower deck really doesn't require the torque of most other implements so I wouldn't worry about it. Just engage at low rpm and then increase revs.

/ Turtle or Rabbit??
You RAT!!!!
Glad I finished reading your post. I almost grabbed my mic's and ran for the garage.

Rogue

/ Turtle or Rabbit?? #5  
I use "rabbit" speed range and engine set to full throttle and then backed off till it sounds right. I know when it is right. I then put the pedal to the metal and away I go. The BX can mow at full speed and that is one way I do not let my other ZTR neighbor get to far ahead of me--we race. Actually, I mow at whatever speed produces a good cut or knocks the weeds down and does not beat the heck out of the machine which in some places can be rather slow and in other places full speed ahead. I always use the rabbit speed range. J

/ Turtle or Rabbit?? #6  
hey guys,
ya got ta run the turtle. if not, you get done faster and then the honey do list is a wavin. actually i tried the rabbit to mow the other day and it was fun. does the bx come with a full suspension option?
rich