Turf tire (front) width question

/ Turf tire (front) width question #1  

klipper247

Tractor
CC Yanmar LX410, Ford 2600
I currently have R1 tires on a 4wd Yanmar LX410. Looking to try turfs. The owner’s manual states turf size for fronts should be 27x10.5-15. I’ve found a set of mounted turfs that match my recommended rear size fine, but the fronts are 27x8.5-15. Would there be any downside to going with the 2” narrower tire than recommended for the fronts? Yes there would be slightly more ground pressure, but am I missing something else? Use isn’t heavy, brush hauling, light loader work and mowing on little 10 acre property.

/ Turf tire (front) width question #2  
If you've got real sandy soil it might make some difference, but otherwise I dont see a problem going narrower. Are you changing the rear as well? Thats where the real problem might lie if you keep the Ag wheels in the rear as the height difference can mess up the 4 wheel drive sync.

/ Turf tire (front) width question
Thanks for the reply. Swapping rears to turfs too. Rears would match mfr. recommended size. Front diameters match the recommended size, only the width of the front tires would be different.

/ Turf tire (front) width question #4  
Having purchased some tires from a popular ebay seller, that came in from China, may I suggest that you measure the circumference of the tires, not just go by what the tire manufacturer printed on the side of the tire.
The tires I purchased were supposed to be 23-10.50-12 and they were the exact same size as some 23-8.50 -12 that I had on a different machine. It didn't make any difference to my application, since I was changing all four tires and they 4wd system was hydraulic powered.
However, my point is... measuring the circumference (use a string around the tire and mark where the ends meet with a marker, then lay it out and throw a tape measure on it). This needs to be when the tire is inflated.
Not a bad idea to check tires anytime you change them.
David from jax

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Turf tire (front) width question #5  
^^^^ I'm sorry but the loaded radius is the measurement that the driving circumference or rolling circumference is which is what will effect your lead lag on a 4wd power train. The static unloaded circumference will be considerably different on many tires which varies with the operating load and tire pressure.

/ Turf tire (front) width question #6  
D
^^^^ I'm sorry but the loaded radius is the measurement that the driving circumference or rolling circumference is which is what will effect your lead lag on a 4wd power train. The static unloaded circumference will be considerably different on many tires which varies with the operating load and tire pressure.
Do Chinese tire manufacturers publish loaded or rolling circumference in their tire specs? I agree that those are the numbers the OP needs to compare, and he needs to compare the new tires against whatever came on his tractor originally.

To accurately measure rolling circumference yourself do this: Put a blob of wet paint on a tire, drive down the road, and measure between paint marks.

rScotty

/ Turf tire (front) width question #7  
I wonder if they've learned to make rubber tires over there. I've never had Chinese tires last more than 18 months. I've had two of their tires blowout on my truck just parked in the driveway. They typically rot before your eyes. Vietnam or Korean tires are fine but not Chinese. That's been my experience.

Having purchased some tires from a popular ebay seller, that came in from China, may I suggest that you measure the circumference of the tires, not just go by what the tire manufacturer printed on the side of the tire.
The tires I purchased were supposed to be 23-10.50-12 and they were the exact same size as some 23-8.50 -12 that I had on a different machine. It didn't make any difference to my application, since I was changing all four tires and they 4wd system was hydraulic powered.
However, my point is... measuring the circumference (use a string around the tire and mark where the ends meet with a marker, then lay it out and throw a tape measure on it). This needs to be when the tire is inflated.
Not a bad idea to check tires anytime you change them.
David from jax
Thanks for the reply Sandman. For the example that you provided with those two tire sizes, I would expect the circumference to be the same. The only difference in the two tire you mentioned is the width of the tire (10.5 vs 8.5). The outside diameter on both of the sizes is nominally 23, so the circumference would be nominally the same between those two sizes. Am I missing something? First number is the OD of the tire, second number is the section width of the tire, and the third number is the dimmer of the rim (ID of the tire basically). So the second number (width) would have no impact on circumference.

/ Turf tire (front) width question #9  
Yes, there was a difference in height as well, but since the seller was as surprised as I was, and the cost to "undo" the sale (he was in PA) was so much, plus they still worked for my application. The width was what stood out and caught my attention, but measurements show rolling circumference was affected.
David from jax

Yes, there was a difference in height as well, but since the seller was as surprised as I was, and the cost to "undo" the sale (he was in PA) was so much, plus they still worked for my application. The width was what stood out and caught my attention, but measurements show rolling circumference was affected.
David from jax
Understood - thanks for the info!