Tufline Box Blade vs First Choice??

/ Tufline Box Blade vs First Choice?? #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
Looks like it is box blade season based on the number of posts lately. I have been hoping to obtain a 7 foot Box Blade (some refer to it as a box scraper) this year. Based on my expected use I don't think it has to be a heavy duty BB but I have been most impressed with the looks of First Choice and Munroe Tufline (you have to select the Products link) based on my web research and the comments on this board.

Both appear to be quality units with lots of metal and good finish.

Anyone had any experience with Tufline - I could not find anything searching the archives. Doesn't seem to be any doubt about the First Choice quality.

Thanks for any comments
Bob

/ Tufline Box Blade vs First Choice?? #2  
Bob,

try searching "monroe tufline" quite a few posts. From what I've read here, quality appears top notch.

Regarding the first choice units. Most of the positive comments were made regarding the Midwest built units. Midwest is no longer a supplier to First Choice, but you can now get Midwest labeled equipment. Places such as Sweet Farm Equip. May have some left over midwest built first choice equipment. Clear as mud eh?

I don't know squat about First Choice's new supplier for box blades. Could be good, could be bad.

/ Tufline Box Blade vs First Choice?? #3  
I'd be willing to bet (not much) Midwest's prices are better than First Choices. I own a Midwest 30 series 72" and it is built like a tank, has a great paint job and best of all it did wonderful work for me over the weekend. Got my blade for $430 from Carter and Carter. Nice folks, as are the folks from Midwest.

/ Tufline Box Blade vs First Choice?? #4  
Bob, when I had the B7100, I had a 4' Monroe Tufline box blade. It cost a little more than some other brands, but would be my first choice. As far as I was concerned the only way it could have been any better would have been for it to have hydraulically operated rippers or scarifiers. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Tufline Box Blade vs First Choice?? #5  
Hello--We are a dealer for both of the companys and the Tufline TB2 and TB3 series compares to the First Choice line---The Tufline TBO series is very light in construction--Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment Co.

/ Tufline Box Blade vs First Choice?? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I own a Midwest 30 series 72" and it is built like a tank, has a great paint job and best of all it did wonderful work for me over the weekend. Got my blade for $430 from Carter and Carter. Nice folks, as are the folks from Midwest. )</font>

Seems as though everyone is impressed with Midwest! I only wish I'd heard of them before I bought my 72" Woods Box blade (GB72) for $596. I'm happy with the Woods unit, and it's taken a beating woth no signs of damage, but your Midwest unit is about 30# heavier than mine, and the price is a LOT better!

John Mc

/ Tufline Box Blade vs First Choice?? #7  
John Mc,

I've got a Woods HB60 and I think I paid $600 and change, delivered by my local dealer.

I had researched other blades of comparable quality and here's what I found: Other dealers (many miles away) would sell a comparable blade (not Woods) for $150-$200 less. Then, shipping was $75-$100. So, that meant a $50-$100 "penalty" to buy from my local dealer. I paid it.

I like having my dealer within a 15 minute drive. If he closes up, I'll have to drive 2-3 times further to see the latest Kubota offerings. He's always treated my right, his staff has been helpful and I don't mind helping to support his business. It's in my best interest for him to keep his doors open.

I'm assuming you bought your Woods blade from your local dealer. If so, I don't think your price was so bad. Don't forget, our local politicians take pride in making sure that those of us that live and work in the Northeast get to pay extra premiums (a.k.a. taxes) for the priviledge of living in their districts. Not all parts of the country have such considerate politicians. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But I digress...

Anyway, my point is, don't fret the difference in price. You bought a quality product at a fair price and supported your local economy.

~Rick

/ Tufline Box Blade vs First Choice?? #8  
I agree that it makes sense to support your local dealer but, the prices I am getting quoted for attacments are often two to three times of those that we can find on the internet for what appears to be good quality equipment. I am willing to give up the name brand to save the money that will allow me to get all the equipment I will use. If it was just a matter of a small percentage difference in price, I could understand.

/ Tufline Box Blade vs First Choice?? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyway, my point is, don't fret the difference in price. You bought a quality product at a fair price and supported your local economy.)</font>

Yes, I bought the boxblade from my local dealer. I also bought my tractor from him. I paid a premium for both, and did not mind doing so... they are great on service! In an ideal world, I'd convince my local dealer to carry Midwest implements.

/ Tufline Box Blade vs First Choice?? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In an ideal world, I'd convince my local dealer to carry Midwest implements. )</font>

I agree. I wish my dealer carried a lower line as well, but he mostly deals with commercial customers, so they prefer the heavy duty implements.

Of course, in that ideal world, I'd also have a BX to cut my lawn and an L48 just for the heck of it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~Rick