Tuf-Tite Risers on septic tanks

/ Tuf-Tite Risers on septic tanks #1  

Wilburn Cox

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100
Does anyone have Tuff-Tite risers on their septic tanks? I am considering these and am wondering about the expense of having them installed. how do you like them and do they allow any rain run off into the tanks.
thanks for any replies and let's all have a great 2019. Red Cox

/ Tuf-Tite Risers on septic tanks #2  
I’ve had risers on all my tanks without issue. But I wouldn’t have them installed prophylactically. Wait till you need you tank pumped and or serviced.
I wouldn’t pay too much for them- they don’t add much in the way of value......no need to look at your turds a second time.

/ Tuf-Tite Risers on septic tanks #3  
Have one of them on one house and the lid that comes with it "normally" is cheap. If you get one, get the heavier lid.

Agree, if its not time to pump (depends on how many using) just wait.

Can also install your self, dig down, sit on top, fill in. My home has a real old tank and the opening just has a piece of rubber may and block of concrete. The hole is only 6 inches, and I just digg it up every 7 to 10 years and call out the pumper. Could also get a piece of 6 or 8 inch sch 80 PVC and cap, and use it so no digging.

/ Tuf-Tite Risers on septic tanks #4  
They are fully sealed if installed right and don't allow any rain run off into the tank. I had the guys that pump my tank install it and they installed it cheaper than I could just buy the riser on line. Sure makes the pumping and inspection a whole lot easier.

/ Tuf-Tite Risers on septic tanks #5  
My opinion only and not backed up by anything

I don't see much if any water getting in even if it is not sealed, and water doesn't hurt a tank. Water comes in and goes out thru the laterals. Now if there was a stream of water coming in this could fill up the laterals, but think this could be noticed by all the water pouring in

/ Tuf-Tite Risers on septic tanks #6  
Does anyone have Tuff-Tite risers on their septic tanks? I am considering these and am wondering about the expense of having them installed. how do you like them and do they allow any rain run off into the tanks.
thanks for any replies and let's all have a great 2019. Red Cox
I installed 2 this fall for around $225 with some Modifications.No issues with rain..

/ Tuf-Tite Risers on septic tanks #7  
I have had concrete risers on my tanks for years. Just be sure they sit tall enough so runoff stays away from the covers. Landscape the dirt and grass so you can mow over them too.

/ Tuf-Tite Risers on septic tanks #8  
I've got an old style concrete oblong tank with poured concrete lids. No way to add an opening without core drilling. I plan to dig it out to be pumped sometime this spring. I need to figure out if there is a better plan than forming and pouring a new lid with an 8" pipe added.

/ Tuf-Tite Risers on septic tanks #9  
just cut a hole in the lid. Take a 1/4 "concrete bit and hammer drill each about 1/3" from last. Then take chisel and start working around 45 minutes later you'll have a hole, some will fall in but so what.
'

/ Tuf-Tite Risers on septic tanks #10  
just cut a hole in the lid. Take a 1/4 "concrete bit and hammer drill each about 1/3" from last. Then take chisel and start working around 45 minutes later you'll have a hole, some will fall in but so what.
'

Agree, making the hole bigger is no issue. When I first moved into this house we had to find the tank. Once that was done the hole was to small so the guy used a hammer drill to make it a little bigger. Mine is made from 12 inch concrete block with a poured lid