Trying to understand the issue with service

/ Trying to understand the issue with service #1  

dwomble1

Tractor
Looking
I looking at purchasing an RK24 and I see alot of concern over servicing the tractors. I understand the need for parts. I do most of the work on my vehicles and other equipment and in todays world I can almost always find the parts online cheaper, yes I might have to wait a few days but that can happen even going to the parts store if they don't have them in stock. Am I missing something about the need for servicing tractors that requires a dealer? Is it worth paying more to buy a orange or green tractor that is made down the road from the RK line just to have a dealer charge me more for what I can do myself?

/ Trying to understand the issue with service #2  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

For me, Service (the Parts & Servicing Department) is more than just somewhere you get parts from. I know that my own Dealership have the knowledge and experience to handle practically all of my problems... and that includes 'in the field' with their mobile service utes. I've never had either of my tractors in the shop and, truly, the only parts I've ever bought from them have been filters, oil and hydraulic fluid for regular maintenance. However, when I did have a problem (some-what self inflicted) they opened the shop up early :yes: to accommodate me. They provided me with a detailed schematic when I simply asked a question. A mechanic came out, listened to me and them physically showed me where I could plug a set of work-lights into a pre-wired 'socket'.

I know that, in my case, my Dealership has my back for the long term. Which means that my Manufacturer has their back for the long term. Peace of mind for me.

Enjoy the site.

/ Trying to understand the issue with service #3  
My take would be to work out cost verses use, verses longevity, and regards to longevity, parts availability down the track. All manufacturers are keeping less inventory in warehouses, and manufacturing parts for less numbers of years. It's a case of weighing one up with the other, how much you can save up front, how much you can save along the way, what the resale will be when you want to get rid of it, or how much you'll lose when you can't get bits for it if you've kept it for many years. Only you can make the decision. One thing I believe that is worth chasing up which ever way you go, is full a parts layout/listing book or pdf, and full service manual right from the start. YMMV.

/ Trying to understand the issue with service #4  
ITS A PERSONAL CHOICE REALLY.. "YOU" can do all/most of the work yourself.. while others cant figure out that the engine needs fuel..
Just take a look at how many threads there are about "ran out of fuel"..
& then theres the guys that WONT change a fuel filter until the motor dies.. "its been getting slower & slower for the last few years"..
In THOSE cases, its best to have a dealer close by..
IF you plan on buying NEW & THINK you might need the warranty.. go with the closest dealer of your liking.
Its really a Blonde vs Brunette issue..

/ Trying to understand the issue with service #5  
Is it worth paying more to buy a orange or green tractor that is made down the road from the RK line just to have a dealer charge me more for what I can do myself?

The issue is the Warranty. Some things users can do without voiding the warranty. Others things they can't. If something comes up where there's a major repair cost involved, the manufacturer can whether or not to cover it based on other things the user may have done they may feel contributed to the failure. Normal user maintenance won't be an issue, but a backyard mechanic getting into engine or transmission problems could.

/ Trying to understand the issue with service #6  
and time....and special equipment.

While I may be able to, and enjoy, doing many things on my tractor, I dont always have the time for complex work.
My day job consumes 60 hours a week of my time. I use my tractor almost every weekend.
So, I dont have time to tackle repair jobs that are going to have to be done across 3 saturdays.
In addition to needing the tractor, - I just have too many other chores.
So, my dealer can fix my tractor during the week while I am at work.

Also, I may not have some of the equipment needed to properly work on a heavy machine. I have not run across this yet, who knows.

That said, I have not actually needed to take my tractor to a dealer yet. Which may speak to the issue of Green,Orange, or "other".

/ Trying to understand the issue with service #7  
My problem is more of transportation. I have green, orange, red and blue dealers within 50 miles or so but no truck or trailer to haul whatever i get to or from them. And I'm not sure any of them will come to me, free or otherwise.

That will be one of my main questions when I start making the rounds. If they won't, there is no advantage of one over another in my mind.

/ Trying to understand the issue with service #8  
I have a Green dealership about 5 miles away. I stopped in and met the owner. Total prick.

I went to the red dealer about 8 miles away. Walked all over the lot and in the store without any one ever saying hello.

I drove 50 miles away and got a couple hours worth of questions answered and they seemed like they actually wanted me as a customer. Bought orange that day.

I'll deal with the distance should I ever need to, but will never go to the red and green show again.

For me it was about service. Customer service.

/ Trying to understand the issue with service #9  
I went to the red dealer about 8 miles away. Walked all over the lot and in the store without any one ever saying hello.

For me it was about service. Customer service.

That wouldn't bother me. I hate salespeople and greeter breathing down my neck when I'm browsing. I'd rather they leave me alone until I want somebody, then I'll go to them. One of the main reasons I stopped going to Best Buy for tech stuff was the vultures pouncing on people as soon as they walk in the door. Sometimes Customer Service is knowing when not to hound people. Now, if they're not available when I want them, or if they blow me off, that's another story.

/ Trying to understand the issue with service #10  
That wouldn't bother me. I hate salespeople and greeter breathing down my neck when I'm browsing. I'd rather they leave me alone until I want somebody, then I'll go to them. One of the main reasons I stopped going to Best Buy for tech stuff was the vultures pouncing on people as soon as they walk in the door. Sometimes Customer Service is knowing when not to hound people. Now, if they're not available when I want them, or if they blow me off, that's another story.

I also do not like being hovered over or pestered by sales people. Though I came into the showroom because I wanted to talk to someone, after walking on their lot for a half hour. Not even a "hello, let me know if you have questions". Not a place I am going to leave $20k-$30k.