Truck + trailer minimum radius driveway turn?

/ Truck + trailer minimum radius driveway turn? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
I drive a Nissan Titan King Cab (aka "extended cab") & pull a 24' boat sitting on a tandem axle trailer. The whole rig is about 48' long, tip-to-tip, but I don't know the wheelbase of the truck+trailer.

Wonder if you all might be able to tell me a reasonable minimum driveway turn radius, without me having to hook it up & go measure it myself?

Although I guess that'd just be a good reason to go boating this weekend :thumbsup:

In any case, a new driveway I'm laying out, that must go between certain trees, & would be good to stay within certain other trees, puts the maximum inside radius of the planned driveway right at 40' (52' would be the outer edge radius). Of course that equals an 80' inside diameter for a U-turn. & therefore, about a 96' center diameter for a U-turn.

By the way, this would be about a 90-degree driveway turn, not a full 180 U-turn.

What do ya'll think?

Edit: The 96' mentioned above should've been 92'. Bad math by me!

Last edited:
   / Truck + trailer minimum radius driveway turn? #2  
Find a parking lot and lay it out. Then Try it.:D

Or; lay it out on the screen and drive it.:thumbsup:

/ Truck + trailer minimum radius driveway turn? #3  
The minimum outside radius required by the fire department here is 42'. That will accommodate their largest truck. I can't imagine that a truck and trailer wouldn't have a smaller turning radius.

/ Truck + trailer minimum radius driveway turn? #4  
My neigbhorhood has a culdesac that is 50' diameter. It is tight but my GMC 1500 QC and 20' trailer are fine in the culdesac.

/ Truck + trailer minimum radius driveway turn?
Tks for the replies.

I just measured a nearby very highly used traffic circle using Google Earth & see that its inside diameter is 80' & the diameter of the center of the stained lane where traffic actually rides is 90' ... so my 92' should work OK.