Truck trailer hitch receiver extension

/ Truck trailer hitch receiver extension #1  

country

My trailer hitch receiver is located 16 inches from the rear end of my Ford flatbed truck. In other words, I must extend the receiver 16 inches from under the truck so I can connect my trailer. How far can I extend the receiver and maintain the towing and load capacities. The towing capacity is 8600 pounds.

Thanks

/ Truck trailer hitch receiver extension #2  
Towing capacity won't be affected by the extension, it is just further behind the tow vehicle. However, the tongue load will put more torque on the hitch with the extension (a longer lever=more torque). Depends on how strong your original hitch and connections to the truck are whether this will be a problem or not. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Truck trailer hitch receiver extension #3  
I don't have my physics book right in front of me, but I believe if you double the length of the hitch reciever or the hitch, you are doubling the amount of leverage or working arm on the actual hitch reciever. Most hitchs are rated for 500 lbs. tongue weight and 1000 lbs. with a weight distribution hitch. I would think that you would be reducing the amount of physical tongue weight proportionally. If you doubled the extension, you would reduce the tongue weight capacity by 50%. I haven't had my 2nd cup of coffee yet so I may be all off on the wrong path here. But at least that is my story for now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif When I was flying we had to figure weight and balance from charts using the weight and arm of cargo, fuel, and passengers dependent upon their postion in or on the helicopter. I would think the same process applies here. As long as you keep your tongue weight reasonable, you should be OK.

/ Truck trailer hitch receiver extension #4  
I sometimes use a 12" extension. On the solid bar itself SAYS.
The use of this extension reduces weights by 1/3 of cappacity.
If you add an extension see if you can build a support near the end of it.
Danny

/ Truck trailer hitch receiver extension #5  
I would certainly want to weld something on to that extension so as not to lose that much tongue weight capacity. I'm guessing your platform extends beyond your frame rails in the back. If that's the case, try to run something down from the frame of your platform if your frame rails don't extend that far back. Your trucks frame rails are, of course, the preferable connection points.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif