Truck tire leaking at bead / balancing weight

/ Truck tire leaking at bead / balancing weight
Just had this problem on a car tire. Broke down the bead, pulled the weight, put on bead sealer and it's fixed. I marked the weight spot and will get a stick on weight to replace the original.
I'm thinking of doing the same, but just leaving the hammer on weight right where it is. What bead sealer product did you use, and how was it applied? Never dealt with any bead sealer, but picturing something that can be brushed on.

/ Truck tire leaking at bead / balancing weight #12  
I used Xtra Seal. It doesn't seem to be sold in small quantities, but for $17 at Amazon you get a quart which is enough to seal every tire you will own in your life. Some of the reviewers complain it's messy, but I put on a pair of disposable gloves and it was quick and easy with the brush in cap.

Amazon.com

Thanks, @KennyG. Just ordered a can, should have it by this weekend. Definitely less wasted time than driving to a tire shop and waiting for them to do it. Hoping it works! Expecting another year or more out of this set of tires, BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 10-ply.

Alloy wheels = stick on weights, no exceptions. What happened is the hammer on weight compromised the clear coat on the wheel and allowed aluminum corrosion (white rust) to form and that caused the leak.
We have a winner! 5030 called it, perfect description of what I found.

The sealant came one evening earlier this week, and today I finally had a free hour to tackle this job. After a moment’s contemplation, I realized the FEL on my Deere was the perfect bead breaker, I just laid the wheel flat on the ground, put a shortie scrap of 4x4 lumber on the tire and lowered the bucket onto it. Popped the bead like butter.

There was a heavy layer of this “white rust” on the wheel, right around that wheel weight. A few minutes with 320 grit aluminum oxide paper had it smoothed out, and I used the same to scrub the tire rubber clean, which had also picked up some oxide deposit from the aluminum.

Brushed on some of KennyG’s favorite bead sealer, filled ‘er back up, and we will see what pressure it’s holding tomorrow. I have high hopes.

From now on, I guess I’m going to have to tell every tire shop “stick-on weights only”, when they work on my vehicles.

/ Truck tire leaking at bead / balancing weight #15  
As a rule, I use Scotchbrite instead but then I always have it in the shop. I use it to remove oxidation from TIG filler rod as well.

/ Truck tire leaking at bead / balancing weight #16  
Just the other day I was looking for something on the shop shelf. I have three cans of bead sealer. I use the snot out of it.

My Son makes his living as a mechanic. He always uses stick on weights.

I have zero patience for a slow leak......

/ Truck tire leaking at bead / balancing weight #17  
Just the other day I was looking for something on the shop shelf. I have three cans of bead sealer. I use the snot out of it.

My Son makes his living as a mechanic. He always uses stick on weights.

I have zero patience for a slow leak......
Where you been lately? I have not seen you posting for months. I thought maybe you fell off the apple wagon.......

/ Truck tire leaking at bead / balancing weight #18  
Where you been lately? I have not seen you posting for months. I thought maybe you fell off the apple wagon.......
You can't kick me off that wagon.....

Took the Summer off and spent my days outside. Winter has driven me back into the shop.

Good to see you still here my friend. Never weaken. :)

As a rule, I use Scotchbrite instead but then I always have it in the shop. I use it to remove oxidation from TIG filler rod as well.
I was thinking the same, and was actually heading for the stairs that go to the second floor of my shop, to grab a fresh Scotchbrite pad, when I saw the remnant on clean new 320 grit paper sitting on the bench right at the bottom of the stairs. Figured I'd save myself one trip up and down the steps, and just grabbed that. :D

/ Truck tire leaking at bead / balancing weight #20  
Pickup truck tire is leaking at bead, right where weight was hammered onto aluminum wheel by dealer who mounted the tires. Not sure why it just started (or vastly increased) now, the tires are about 2 years old.

It started leaking a few PSI per day about a week ago, and today I found it's leaking at the bead right where the weight is attached. I can't imagine the hook on the weight actually did damage to the tire, so the location may be just coincidence.

I'm presently debating the hassle of taking it somewhere versus just popping the bead and spreading a little bead sealer in that area, before re-mounting. I don't have automatic tire mounting equipment, but I have tire irons and have set plenty of beads myself using a torniquet on the tire followed by air, all very old school.

Thoughts?
If your rim is aluminum it most likely has a clear coat. wheel weights will marr the finish and allow water under the clear coat and make it peel. You will only know when you remover the tire. buff up the rim with a flap disc in the areas bubbled up and remount. do not worry about sealers. I have also seen this happen with chrome rims. quality is so bad that chrome will start to peel in under a year. factory or aftermarket.