Truck Size to transport

/ Truck Size to transport #11  
The trailer weighs about 3500. It’s a 14k trailer
I cant afford a new truck so it will definitely be used.
Either a Ford F250 or a Ram 2500

Wont be towing real often.
So, unless you have a CDL, the truck is limited to under 12K GVW. Many newer dually's are higher than that, but as long as you stay away from those, you should be fine.

/ Truck Size to transport
Very nice reply and very informative , Thank You. :)

/ Truck Size to transport #13  
What's the GVW of the trailer? Add that to the GVW of whatever trucks you're looking at. If the number is higher than 26,000, you need a CDL to tow it legally. Which means, if you don't have a CDL, you can legally tow a larger trailer with a 2500 than with a 3500.

So, unless you have a CDL, the truck is limited to under 12K GVW.
That could depend on the state.

For non-commercial I'm legal at 14,000 (Ram 3500) and 25,000 lbs. GVWR (trailer). If I got a trailer with a 40K GVWR it would still be legal.

Big difference between driving commercially and private use.

/ Truck Size to transport #14  
I can’t stand trailers. My 2000 3/4 ton Silverado with 8 ft box fits my tractor like a glove:
IMG_2962.jpeg

IMG_2961.jpeg

/ Truck Size to transport #17  
That could depend on the state.

For non-commercial I'm legal at 14,000 (Ram 3500) and 25,000 lbs. GVWR (trailer). If I got a trailer with a 40K GVWR it would still be legal.

Big difference between driving commercially and private use.
Interesting. What state is that?

/ Truck Size to transport #18  
Interesting. What state is that?
New Mexico.

For commercial it's far from ideal, short overall combined lengths etc., but for private use just about anything goes, it seems. Then there are no length limits on trailers, or how many you can pull.

Of course, with freedom comes responsibility, and it's cringe worthy to see many of the setups heading for the lake, for example. Boats and other stuff towed behind travel trailers.

Okay, not saying that can't be done correctly, but quite a few of the tow vehicles going by are 1/2-tons and SUVs, pulling way more than I'd ever attempt.

Blind faith in the J2807 ratings I suppose, and exceeding them by a bit can't hurt anything, right?

/ Truck Size to transport #19  
New Mexico.

For commercial it's far from ideal, short overall combined lengths etc., but for private use just about anything goes, it seems. Then there are no length limits on trailers, or how many you can pull.

Of course, with freedom comes responsibility, and it's cringe worthy to see many of the setups heading for the lake, for example. Boats and other stuff towed behind travel trailers.

Okay, not saying that can't be done correctly, but quite a few of the tow vehicles going by are 1/2-tons and SUVs, pulling way more than I'd ever attempt.

Blind faith in the J2807 ratings I suppose, and exceeding them by a bit can't hurt anything, right?
That is nice of NM! In CT you can't tow over 26,000lbs without a CDL. Does not matter that you are towing your own stuff and are not for hire. The only exception to this is RV's. I have a friend who is a CT State Trooper and works CDL Compliance. We were looking to buy a 14K trailer or upgrade to a heavier trailer. The heavier trailer would have put us over 26K so we chose the 14K trailer which keeps us under 26K.

/ Truck Size to transport #20  
The trailer weighs about 3500. It’s a 14k trailer
I cant afford a new truck so it will definitely be used.
Either a Ford F250 or a Ram 2500

Wont be towing real often.
What you should do is either look up the GCWR on any trucks you are interested in. I think you should be ok towing 14K trailer & your machine on it with the proper hitch.
Most 3/4-1 ton SRW trucks were rated to that level.
I’d suggest a 1-ton for the extra spring/suspension capacity. They don’t really cost much more.
Just have to keep the combination under 26,000.