Truck Question

/ Truck Question #1  

walhondingMF

Silver Member
Tractor
2012 MF2400
Seems like the correct place for this question...

I have a 2015 Silverado with the electric steering. The steering seems, recently, to be softer. Maybe the smallest amount of play but it does have 128,000 miles. Everything under the truck is still tight and it still tracks pretty straight. The tires are old and I do need new ones. I have no experience with the electric steering so I do not know how aging would feel with it. Maybe an alignment but if it drifts in the slightest, it not specific to one side. Any input would be appreciated.

/ Truck Question #2  
How do you know the front end components are tight. I’ve changed both tie rod ends and sway bar end links that look good when they are on the vehicle but are obviously worn once you take them off. I think this is the case because the joints have a load on them and look tight.

/ Truck Question
I jacked it up and did my best to move everything as much as I could. I had someone turn the wheel and didn't see any play in anything. You do make a good point though.

/ Truck Question #4  
In addition to all the linkage and suspension parts, rack bushings, etc, worn tires can affect steering.

/ Truck Question #5  
It’s been years ago but I had ball joints go out on a car. With it jacked up hanging by the suspension i had a buddy get under a front tire with a very long breaker bar, about 4 feet long and pry on the tire, then you could see a little play in the joint. It sounds like tie rod ends to me but that’s a guess. Certain vehicles wear out certain parts, a little research may give you an idea of which ones.

/ Truck Question
Just from a quick observation, I did not see a rag joint.

Yesterday I happened to park in a grassy area. I put the window down and stuck my head out. I saw every little bit of movement in the wheel turn in the tires. I am about 90% convinced it's the tires. It made me more conscious of it on the gravel last night and it seems to be even better on gravel. I am just going to have to get tires and go from there. It may just be this is the first time in 2 years owning the truck that the tires have worn to this point.

/ Truck Question #8  
When I was a kid (1960's) PA state car inspection included checking the front end components.

If you jack up a car by the frame, the components look "tight"
If you place the rolling floor jack under the lower "A" arm, and lift the tire off the ground, the loose components are evident.

Frequently, ball joints were SO bad, during checking them, they would fall apart.
The owner of the car ALWAYS believed that the inspection guy purposely damaged the car, just to get the work.

The check required placing up force under the tire while the car was on the jack.
We always used a 2 foot long tire iron. It was the perfect tool for that job.

If any looseness or noise was noted,, the car was rejected.
Seldom these cars had 50,000 miles,, frequently 30,000 miles and a complete parts replacement was required.
I think it was partially do to the salt, partially due to pot holes, and MOSTLY due to poor car design,,,

/ Truck Question #9  
Place jack under knuckle and raise front tire about 2" off the ground. Place 2x4 outside tire edge. Use long breaker bar to push up on bottom of tire. Have helper use a flashlight to inspect for play in upper and lower ball joints/control arms.
Check for play in pitman arm, that's a known weak point in GM front suspension. With tires on ground have a helper move the steering wheel back and forth and check for play in pitman and tie rods with flashlight.
If you take it to a good alignment shop they will check the above before alignment is performed.

/ Truck Question #10  
Seems like the correct place for this question...

I have a 2015 Silverado with the electric steering. The steering seems, recently, to be softer. Maybe the smallest amount of play but it does have 128,000 miles. Everything under the truck is still tight and it still tracks pretty straight. The tires are old and I do need new ones. I have no experience with the electric steering so I do not know how aging would feel with it. Maybe an alignment but if it drifts in the slightest, it not specific to one side. Any input would be appreciated.

Common sense would tell me new, quality tires always have made a big difference in quality of handling.
128,000 miles is also a reason to have some play in the steering.